1991 Penfolds Grange (and others Colgin, Abreu, HB, Dana Lotus)- decant suggestions

Opening up a great flight around the world for a friends birthday and could use decanting help/suggestions.

1991 Penfolds Grange
1995 Krug (assuming 15-30 minutes)
2003 Haut Brion
2012 Dana Estates Lotus
2014 Colgin IX
2014 Abreu Thorevilos

Thank you for your help!

1991 Grange is still a baby, needs a long decant. I would decant for 4-6 hours prior to serving. Of course needs to stood up about 2 weeks prior to consumption. Also watch out for the notorious Penfold’s crappy crumbly corks. Definitely use a Durand

Thank you!

I probably wouldn’t decant that grange near that long, but I would absolutely follow Brodie’s other comments. Stand it up for ages before you open. The sediment and potential for cloudiness in Grange is brutal. Needs a long stand and a careful pour. The corks do tend to blow. Use a Durand for sure. If you don’t have a durand, use a Toro/Ah-So. Corkscrew is nearly guaranteed to make you very sad and very frustrated. Probably wise to have a mesh strainer handy.

That Krug should be really good. Just open it 15 minutes before you pour. The Napas will be young no matter what, but should not be overly tannic, as all will be carrying more fruit and perceived sweetness than anything you’ll have had before. Sometimes Abreu can be tannic and huge, but I’m not a big fan of the decant unless it is to avoid sediment and preserve clarity.

Thank you both. I am very familiar with Napa and Bordeaux but our of my element with the Grange for sure.

Yes I have a Durand but by no means an expert- so this should be fun!

Thank you both very much for your time and insight.

I would open the Haut Brion ~ 4hours in advance and leave, then decant for sediment just before serving.

Thorevilos tends to be Abreu’s most tannic/brooding/tightly wound release. I’d be pretty surprised if the 2014 is ready to show well (they haven’t even RELEASED the 2016 yet!), but if you do want to serve it, I’d opt for a full 8+ hour decant.

Rauno- thank you

HoosJustinG- yes totally agree. Tried the 14 Abreu LP last year with a good decant and it was infantside but already killer. This is my first of the 12 pack so wanted to check in. You are right I should wait but have bad ADHD with these as it’s one of my favorite wines.