TN: A gathering of great wine and beef featuring 89 Latour & 01 Vieux Donjon

A GATHERING OF GREAT WINE AND BEEF - Chez moi (8/31/2020)

A lovely evening al fresco with Caroline and David.

Starters
We enjoyed smoky carrot dip, mackerel conserva, jambon de Bayonne and Cured salami.

• 2016 Domaine Nathalie et Gilles Fevre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses Voix de la Terre - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Drinking rather well though it remains mostly primary and has a touch of petillance. The depth is impressive and, despite the youthfulness, it is well-delineated. It certainly is a bigger, richer example of their Preuses but I think it will provide lots of pleasure. The ample, balancing acidity should enable it to develop and endure. (N.B. I previously sold this wine and will in subsequent vintages.)
  • 2016 Domaine de la Sarbèche St. Péray - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Péray
    I was lost tasting this blind. An interesting and enjoyable Saint Peray. It seems very stable for a natural wine. The nose is nicely exotic. The palate needed coaxing but it had a pleasingly oily texture. I detected more vanilla than expected given 18 months in older barrels. I think this needs more time to fully resolve though it is very good now with sufficient air.

Beef, beef and more beef
Snake River Farm Choice Tri-Tip marinated Santa Maria style, SRF Black Tomahawk & a Prime Tomahawk from a local butcher. Served with eggplant Caprese salad and fresh corn on the cob.

• 1989 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    How proud was I to call the vintage blind? Didn’t drink this from an ideal stem but its magnificence was apparent nonetheless. I’m told it was decanted for 90 minutes but it continued to grow, evolve and add weight.
    Deep, classical and young - though not resistant to drinking now. Having had the 1990 just over a year ago, presently, I prefer this vintage. Thanks DL.
  • 2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Hard to ever know for sure, but this felt the ideal time to enjoy this wine. It had some sweet fruit and richness but also some earthy tertiary notes. Plenty of freshness and structure with resolved tannins. Drunk along side '89 Latour and nobody minded going back to this. Super!

Aprés
a cheese board including Pecorino, Cheddar, Hartwell and a Basque sheep. Homemade (CL) Peach Galette

• 1997 Cantine Innocenti Vin Santo Occhio di Pernice - Italy, Tuscany, Vin Santo
    From a bottle recently Coravin’d. Whoa, do I adore this wine! So redolent of figs, so impeccably balanced and an incomparably wonderful mouthfeel. Paired reasonably well with peach galette but I prefer this solo. (N.B. I previously sold this wine and currently sell a different vintage.)
  • 2006 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Quarts de Chaume
    Enjoyed this very much. My principle reference point for sweet Chenin is Gigou’s Jasnières. This is richer and creamier. Not to say that it isn’t fresh and bright. Paired nicely with a selection of cheeses and a peach galette. Should develop further over time.

Posted from CellarTracker