DuPuis Wines

I just received an email from Wells Guthrie (previous winemaker / owner of Copain). Looks like an inaugural release will be occurring soon:

I invite you to join us
in the inaugural release of
our first six wines later this month.
For this release, we are excited to feature the following wines:

2019 Ferrington Chardonnay

2019 Estate Pinot Noir

2018 Wendling Pinot Noir

2018 Abel Pinot Noir

2018 Village Pinot Noir

2018 Baker Ranch Syrah

You need to join his new mailing list to be eligible fyi (by September 4th for this release). Does anyone have any additional information? Small operation by design it looks like…

Cheers,
JP

Today, I received an invitation to join the mailing list for the inaugural release of DuPuis Wines, which is Wells Guthrie’s new venture. The mailer indicates that Wells has purchased a 40-acre estate in Boonville and intends to produce Anderson Valley Pinot, Syrah and Chardonnay.

I still have a great many bottles of Copain wines from the Wells Guthrie era and am excited to see what he does with DuPuis. Anyone else joining?

1 Like

You beat me by two minutes. I joined the list and am excited to try Wells’ new wines. Maybe the mods can merge our threads.

1 Like

I joined as well. I was wondering what he was up to…

Cheers,
JP

Getting the email from Wells made my day. Have been waiting for a new venture since he left Copain…

Delighted to see Wells back in the game. He has been gone but not forgotten!

This
Joined immediately

Yes, I joined as “well.” I met both Wells and his dad (who lived in my fair city) back in the day in Chicagoland. Looking forward to it! His video makes me want to be his personal chef, work harvest for free, and live in a tent on his property! Glad to see he came out of hiding…

Cheers,
JP

Does Wells have a web site or by email only?

The first mailing list I’ve joined since…maybe the Obama Administration? Seems like so long ago in so many ways I’d so like to forget… but I’m excited to see what Wells has planned!

1 Like

I think it might be the first time you’ve posted since then too! Good to see your name on the board.

1 Like

I picked a number of magnums of 2000s Copain Syrah from Winebid a couple if years ago which I’ve been enjoying. The Heard about Dupuis on CellarTracker and signed up. It will be interesting yo see what is on offer.

I would expect the Ferrington PN to be quite good.

https://vimeo.com/451264601

I see Wendling as a Pinot vineyard source. The Copain Wendlings were excellent, and fascinating, good to see Wells get his hands on that again.

1 Like

Our 2020 Release has officially arrived. It was a true delight to shepherd these wines from the vineyard fruit to the barrel and finally to the bottles we hope you’ll soon be holding in your hands. This fall release includes:

2019 Estate Pinot Noir
Our small lot of estate fruit produced a wine with lifted floral and dried pine needle notes to the dark red fruit aromas. Expansive on the palate with a minerally edge to the red fruit flavors that finishes with bright acidity and talc like tannins.

2018 Wendling Pinot Noir
Sourced from the last vineyard in the Deep End of the valley, our blocks of selection massal clone pinot are planted meter by meter and farmed organically. The cold Deep end climate and low vigor soils produce small amounts of concentrated aromatic wine with dark red fruit and balanced with vibrant acidity.

2018 Abel Pinot Noir
The light sandy well drained soils consistently produce a high toned aromatic wine with savory earthy notes to the beet root, rhubarb, and crush red fruit flavors.

2018 Le Benedict Pinot Noir
Our Benedict pinot is named in honor of Edward Ronan “Ned” Benedict and pays homage to his love of burgundy, our shared affection for the great village wines and the profound friendship we shared. The wine showcases the complexity this region produces with balance, purity and persistent flavors of dark red fruits and earthy undertones of beetroot and wet earth. The silky texture is balanced by bright acidity and fine grained tannins.

2018 Baker Ranch Syrah
Baker Ranch consistently produces a syrah with Northern Rhone-like palate weight, aromatics and flavors. This organically farmed syrah is fermented 100% whole cluster, utilizing native yeast and aged in neutral oak barrels. The light sandstone soils are truly reflected with floral spicy aromatics and crunchy peppery red and dark fruit flavors.

2019 Ferrington Chardonnay
The deep well drained alluvial soils with rounded galet stones, produces a wine with orchard fruits and lemon curd flavors balanced by a vein of mineralty and bright acidity. They are foot tread to extract phenolics from the skins followed by fermentation and aging in neutral french oak barrels.

“Selection massal clone” seems a little overwrought.

Anybody else planning to buy anything? I was thinking of going for the Baker Ranch Syrah because I enjoyed the Copain version. The Wendling Pinot sounds interesting as well.

Trying to decide how much I can afford.

I went for one of each, just out of curiosity!