TN: 2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée 3.14

This is seriously good. Best since the '07 for mine. Delicious berry and cherry fruits. Some Redskin Lolly and plenty of plant matter. It has flesh without excessive weight. It is direct and detailed, with a fine line of minerally acidity. The finish is expansive and long.

Thank you for the early look, and for making me feel good about stocking up. I’d love to get your thoughts on ageability

[cheers.gif]

Hi C h 0 o n 6,

they certainly age well, as does the standard CdP, but I like them relatively young.

Cheers
Jeremy

Just had the ‘07 and it was fresh and revelatory.

I’m not above distance drinking in a park for aged Foillard.

Thanks for the note. I opened my first bottle a few weeks ago and agree it’s probably the finest since 2007 and maybe 2013, which are my favorites…

2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée 3.14 - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (8/16/2020)
Beautiful nose of red cherries, sweet raspberries, violets, cantaloupe melon, and tart red fruit. Very well balanced with great acidity, medium tannins, and more tart than sweet fruit notes compared to the nose. Wild strawberries and forest flood on the long finish. Quite different than the Cote du Py and Corcelette from the same year, yet maybe a bit more interesting and complex. Outstanding Beaujolais, can’t wait to see how this develops in 3-5 years. May be better than the 2013 eventually… 95+

Did anyone taste the 2009? I drank my stash too early and have now a single magnum left. I am wondering when to open this last for peak drinking?

The 2009 was drinking beautifully about a year ago when I first and last had it. We drank it along the 2009 Cote du Py and Fleurie. All three were great, but the 3.14 seemed to be the youngest and longest lived. I’m planning on not touching my other bottle for a few years, but if you haven’t had one in a while, there’s no harm in opening.

I have a single mag of the 07 Cuvee 3.14. I’d be happy to offer it up, once we’re past the pandemic.

Or maybe before, if we’re hyper vigilant about social distance and everyone who attends has been that way personally. Taking few risks on that account – my wife has pretty severe rheumatoid arthritis, and RA medicines are immune suppressants, RA being an immune disorder.

Cool, Lee, that would be fun. Probably best to wait if she is at risk. Everyone is trying to be as safe as possible, but you never know for sure.