TN: 2019 Dutraive Grand Cour Fleurie VV

These wines have been hard to find, as nasty weather (mosty hail, from what I recall) has greatly reduced production the last few vintages. I’m not a huge fan of the Cap o Sud negoce wines, so the last real memory I have of Dutraive is the 2015s, which I recall being slightly hotter than normal, but immensely pleasurable.

Man, these wines taste and smell totally different to my memory of them. The nose is really volatile, giving it a lifted, floral, almost Banyuls vinegar-like sensation. I get a strong note of dill pickle on the nose, which I always get with the Pierre Olivier Bonhomme wines from the Loire. Way more “natty” than I recall.

The color is incredibly light garnet and slightly cloudy.

The palate is al tart red fruit: cranberry, raspberry, and tart cherry. Almost no tannin to speak of, and really pleasing acidity. at 14.1, there is a light hint of heat, but not so much that it sticks out.

Overall, the wine is incredibly enjoyable. Again, may more on the “natty” end of the spectrum than I recall the wines being, but certainly not in a bad way. The nose really reminds me of the Radikon reds (lifted, floral, volatile), and the palate reminds me a lot of Metras Fleurie. Definitely not a bad thing.

hmmm…never had a Dutraive that was volatile; that sounds kinda worrying.

I just read a great article that didn’t mention Dutraive specifically, but mentioned “Even the greatest of the great producers of Beaujolais” are having a hard time with ripe years like 17 and 18 (I am assuming 19, as well) producing alcohol levels that are resulting in stuck or slowed fermentations, causing higher incidents of pronounced VA.

Well I was referencing older vintages. Hearing about the riper years made me cower and hide from 15% gamay.