Jim Budd reports Frederic Mabileau dies in plane crash.

Frédéric Mabileau: killed in a micro-lite plane crash – terrible news! Jim's Loire: Frédéric Mabileau: killed in a micro-lite plane crash – terrible news!

Terrible news indeed. I have become a great fan of his wines - what a loss. Thanks Bob for telling us.

Thought this would be a good place to post the following note.

2005 Domaine Frederic Mabileau, St-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil, Eclipse
A very nice nose featuring fruit that’s initially blue and red, but becomes a bit figgy after a couple of hours in the decanter; there are also some pretty forward herbal notes, suggestive of thyme and something high toned that’s almost a bit like spearmint. On the palate, there’s pronounced earthiness folded in. Not very extracted, but with good intensity. The wine has a rather unhurried way of filling every corner of your mouth, after which it just lingers there. The tannins are pretty much resolved by now, but I think it will continue to give pleasure for quite a while. Be sure to decant off the sediment.

Very suitable, Elliot - thanks for posting.

Sad news …
I did not know …

A wine I had last friday, ripe like the Loire Cabernet-Franc 1998 can be : Frédéric Mabileau St-Nicolas de Bourgueil petits grains 2018

Unfortunately reminds of Didier Dagueneau