TN: 2008 Peay Vineyards Syrah Les Titans (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

2008 Peay Vineyards Syrah Les Titans - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/28/2020)
Can’t remember the last time I had one of these, but it’s definitely evolving positively. Major fires in the middle of summer affected Mendocino county in particular, but also drifted down into northern Sonoma county. When young, this wine had some noticeable fireplace ash notes, though in the case of Syrah, it melds pretty well with the wine. Now, that earlier smoke has mellowed into more of an attractive smoky bacon note, actually complimenting the still deep, dark blackberry Syrah fruit. Somewhat brooding, but with a floral blueberry note that comes out after several hours of air time; excellent acidity, and fine tannic structure for balance, this is turning into quite a wonderful, complex wine, still very youthful, with years of life and development ahead of it. (93 pts.)

Opened this recently, and thought it was something of interest to post, given the current discussions around smoke taint.

Thanks Alan. I was on the Zoom with you and Andy Peay. Totally agree. Very youthful. I recorked in a 375 and revisited 2 days later and it was singing. My takeaway from this tasting and several previously is that Peay pinots and syrahs really hit their peak with 10-15 years of age. They definitely have the acidity and balance to age on an old world scale.

The estate chardonnay also ages really well

The 2012 estate Chardonnay are fantastic right now
Had one last weekend

Thx, got one left though I’m gonna give it a couple more years. Still testing aging curve on these