TN: 2016 Ramey Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard (USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros)

• 2016 Ramey Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (9/5/2020)
    I would have expected more richness and breadth, but this is a laser beam. Citrus, spice, herbal tea, finishing creaminess just enough to broaden the impact, it’s a stunning wine. Not much else to say except wow.

Posted from CellarTracker

I love this stuff. Thanks David for the nice note.

Thanks Don.

I remain shocked at how little notice these wines get. David Ramey’s stable of Chardonnays (Fort Ross-Seaview, Russian River, Hyde, Rochioli, Westside Farms, etc.) are all world class examples. Not to mention his skill with Cabernet.

Go figure.

His Platt was always a favorite of mine. The appellation wines are great too, SC and RRV.

Truly one of the best winemakers in the US.

I also really like the Woolsey Road.

The Sonoma Coast is now Fort Ross Seaview.

Yes, since they stopped putting Platt in with the Martinelli vineyard and could call it FR-SV. Lost a little in the depth department, but added a more focused linear spine.

And so the only one with no love is Ritchie.

I am just not a fan of that site, from anyone.

I don’t mind Ramey Ritchie, but it’s way down my list from Ramey. Produces wines that are richer than I like nowadays, that seem to be missing a dimension.

That is exactly how I feel about every Ritchie Chard that I try from anyone.

+1

They don’t get talked up here on WB, but judging by the prices he gets for his wines, there plainly is a great deal of love out there for them.

There is that. Cheaper than Rhys Chards…and…better. (Keep That last bit quiet)

The Chards he made at Chalk Hill in the early 90s actually are some of the wines that GOT me into wine.

Nice note David. I haven’t heard a ton about Ramey but what little I do come across is always that it’s quietly exceptional. I just had the 2016 Fort Ross-Seaview, my first from them.

• 2016 Ramey Chardonnay Fort Ross - Seaview - USA, California, Sonoma County, Fort Ross - Seaview (8/9/2020)
    Aromas of lemon curd, some salinity, crackling hints of butter: toasty bread perhaps but that might be a reach.

Palate leads off with lemon curd and is carried by a well articulated herbacious core. Nicely patched in bits of malo, some oak. The oak and butter aren’t heavy or overdone but are nicely balanced and there’s a simultaneity with every quality getting along nicely. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting note Charlie. I have to say that while I have picked up no shortage of oak spice in Ramey, butter has never stood out for me, despite his 100% malo winemaking.

Funny, I came here to say the Ramey Hyde was one of my epiphany wines, about 20 years ago.

I know David Ramey is a proponent of natural cork being the primary cause of premox. Anyone know if he switched over to a different closure in recent years?

He uses DIAM.

Ordered some 2017 Hyde Chardonnay from Ramey a few weeks ago. Looking forward to trying it. Master of Chardonnay + California Grand Cru site always makes for delicious wine. Love Ramey Chards!!!

My 2017 is coming this fall. If it’s as good as the 2016 I will be trying to get lots more!