TNR: FX Pichler Riesling Unendlich 2005

supposed to be a top Pichler, “unending.” Anybody taste it? Found a few bottles while rearranging in the cellar. One of the advantages of random chaos inventory system?

I a bunch of these a while back, though none recently. I usually like the wine, despite my gut reaction to the hubris of naming your wine “unending.” Can be very elegant without losing power, though some of my notes on a few vintages say they were a touch hot.

Alan, I’ve never tried the Unendlich but I’ve has several of his other ‘01s and liked them a lot; I actually can’t remember having had a disappointing F.X. Pichler. I’d be curious what you think of it.

I’m not a fan of the style. These days, the Unendlich is usually at or above 15%. Personally, that is above my wheelhouse for alc. in non-fortified whites. I am not sure what the alc. level is a 2001 Unendlich. It might be lower. At any rate, Pichler is great. I just like the less “monumental” bottlings. Fortunately for me, they are cheaper!

Herr Franz Xavar in the hizzy.

His top end Gruner is named “M.” As in monumental.

I haven’t had it but I bet it’s great. I’ve had a couple other vintages and they were excellent.

My favorite in the Pichler range is usually the Kellerberg Riesling, and it’s usually pretty great indeed. The wines are big and bold and often teetering on the edge of being too much (and Pichler is not my favorite Austrian producer because of it)—but the acidity and balance typically keeps things in check.

Can’t help with the 2001, but we drank the 2000 about a year ago and it was fantastic! Yes, these are richer wines, but with age they can blow you away… I hope, your 2001 is going to be a similar experience

I drank my first undenlich - the 2007 - last week. I found it fairly puzzling. On the nose, it came off like a dead ringer for a spatlese Mosel Riesling. There was no sweetness on the palate, which was fairly reserved and shy and not at all what I was expecting. I don’t drink much Austrian Riesling and what I do drink isn’t Pichler, so maybe I just popped this at exactly the wrong time, but I thought it was strange and not particularly compelling.

A

They have actually produced at least two vintages of Gruner Unendlich.

As for the original question they are certainly in a class of their own. I have had some profound Unendlichs and I think I have had every vintage and some multiple times. They are big wines and the older ones taste like they definitely had some botrytis. I find the right food pairing can be key.

Never been a big fan of FX’s special bottlings such as the Unendlich and “M”. As was note, they seem a bit overdone for me. Absolutely love his Kellerberg going back to the '90s.

Are you sure it’s a 2001? The 2001 has not been produced.

The following vintages have been produced:

In addition, there were 3 vintages of Gruner Veltliner Unendlich:

Let me dig it out. There are a few bottles . . .

Ah that makes sense as I was wondering why I did not recall tasting this. I wonder why 2001 was a great vintage in the Wachau.

pulled the bottles and indeed 2005. Thread title corrected—thanks.