TN: Three DavidCoffaros '02...(short/boring)

Cracked these three the other night looking for something good to drink. These were not them:

1. DavidCoffaro EstateCuvee Estate/DryCreekVlly RW (33% Zin/30% CS/27% Carignane/10% PetiteSirah; 750 cs; U/U; 13.9%) 2002: Med.light color w/ some browning; quite dried-out/tired some oxidized no fruit nose; soft quite dried-out no fruit old/dead/tired Zin flavor w/ little tannins; pretty dead & gone.

1. DavidCoffaro Zin EB/DCV (14.4%; 8% CS/6% Carignane/3% PS; 800 cs; U/U) 2002: Light color w/ some browning; slight raspberry/DCV Zin light toasty/oak bit pencilly/cedary rather dried-out/tired nose; tart/tangy/metallic slight raspberry/DCV Zin rather tired/dried-out flavor w/ light gentle tannins; not much fruit left & pretty tired but not oxidized/totally shot yet.

1. DavidCoffaro PetiteSirah Estate/DCV (13.8%; 20% Zin; 450 cs; U/U) 2002: Very dark color w// some bricking; fairly strong blackberry/PS/peppery some toasty/pencilly/oak bit tired/dried-out nose; soft rather tangy/metallic/dried-out light pencilly/oak bit hot/alcoholic/overripe bit peppery/PS flavor w/ light drying tannins; pretty tired & dried out but not totally dead yet; the best of a sorry lot.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I have, of course, followed DavidCoffaro from the very start. He used to offer a futures program in the late Summer afore harvest at ridiculously low prices. We used to buy quite a lot because of these great prices. I always found the wines quite attractive & well-made and great values.
    When I removed the capsules, I noted they were closed w/ StuYaniger’s (anybody remember him?) NeoCork, the foam/extruded plastic cork. There were initially a lot of enthusiasm for this closure. However, time & experience showed that this NeoCork was a failure and the wines oxidized fairly early.
    Tom

Wasn’t Stu Yaniger some kind of sound equipment genius who brushed through the wine world??
I was always amazed that so many people embraced this technology for corks so quickly. Usually people try something out on a small scale and then move on from there.

Why did you wait 18 years to open these wines?? Did the Log lady hide them?? A friend aged a barrel of wine from the Caffaro vineyard for me about 20 years ago. It was all drunk by 2010. Regular corks, Taransaud barrels.

Always a fun visit. Dave had a heck of a sound system in his winery!