TN: 1996 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Villero di Castiglione Falletto

• 1996 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Villero di Castiglione Falletto - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (9/5/2020)
    Last taste over 9 years ago. Decanted for 3 hours. Scarlet rusty garnet color. Depth-defying nose of balsam, violets, rose petal, asphalt, and camphor. Sinuous layers of strawberry, Bing cherry, deeply-pitched blue plum, resin, asphalt, and fine earth on the satin-textured palate. Bright acidity balancing entrenched but smoothed tannin. Long finish of rich plum fruit, earth, and delicate sweet grip. Beautiful. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note and thanks for the data point.

I’ve been patiently waiting on my bottles for a very long time now. Last time I had it was 3 years ago at a dinner party when a friend opened it. I thought it was still really structured but buffering very strong fruit. Maybe it’s time.

Thanks Doug.

Love the '96’s!

Jayson,

If you have more than one, it’s worth a shot IMHO. Hope it shows well for you.

Jeremy,

I haven’t cracked that many 1996’s but this wine was firing on all cylinders!

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks for the fine note Doug. I agree with others, that the 96’s are starting to drink well aside from a few firmer outliers. That said, I suspect they will be better in 5-10. I think Giacosa did very well in '96, and his Villero was his last Villero, so a pretty good send off for that parcel.

Thanks again

Todd,

Good thoughts. I have two more bottles, which will sleep awhile (another 9 year interval might actually work out well).

Cheers,
Doug

Absolutely love the wines from Giacosa in '96 - an absolute winner vintage for them! Thx for the note Doug.

It is with much lament that I just sent an unopened case of 1996 Falletto Riserva to auction. The prices have gotten crazy and I have few to drink them with these days.

Jonathan,

Agree, great producer and a fine vintage - what a wonderful combination. Exercising patience will be difficult.

Kelly,

Great sorrow indeed. May you have the occasion and a safe pathway to drinking great bottles with great friends very soon!

Cheers,
Doug

Liberating and depressing all at once [tease.gif]. If you have any of the '96 Barbaresco Riserva Asili in a box somewhere - do not sell :slight_smile:.

My favorite Giacosa vintage, and there are many good ones.

I had this at Babbo on 2005. Went to NYC with my wife and in laws who had never been to NYC. Also had our 2 month old in tow. I’m pretty sure the couple sitting next to us did not go home and make whoopy ! Wine was great.

Kelly I feel you. I recently purged all my pre 96 Barolo. Just wasn’t drinking them.

Steve and Nick,

First bottles of Giacosa I purchased (pretty sure anyway) so they are kind of special to me too. I hadn’t sampled a Barolo in a long while and thought I’d speed the arrival of autumn a bit.

Cheers,
Doug