Riesling spritz and sweetness

A couple of Riesling related questions…

The spritz or CO2 that I often experience with Riesling - does that go away over time? Will it dissipate with a vigorous decant?

Riesling sweetness - when aging bottles, does the sweetness mute or evolve over time?

TIA.

The CO2 will go away with age or a decant. Sweetness evolves, as the wine evolves. Sometimes the wine ends up tasting less sweet, but not always.

Thanks David.

Recork and shake, repeat until no longer spritzy.

How does that relate to travel shock beating down a wine’s character?
Tom

Hmm. Good question and one I’ve never thought about. Usually 2-3 rounds of 5 second shakes is enough for me, have never noticed any degregation. OTOH I consider Riesling to be near indestructible compared to most other grapes…

Recork? That’s why you have opposable thumbs.

I travel with Riesling all the time…and always find it to be of good character :wink:

It doesn’t.

David Schildknecht used to pour a glass, put his hand over the top and shake. Not my preferred method, but he knows more about Riesling than 100 of us combined.

I pour a glass, recork, and shake the hell out of the wine. Then repeat the recork and shake process a couple more times. What Ethan said. Most of the dissolved CO2 comes out of suspension that way. And it helps open the wine up. I’ve never had an issue using this method.

I have never understood why anyone has a problem with a little CO2.

We finally agree. I knew the day would come.

Wait…let me reassess my position. :wink: