TN: 2011 'Cordeloux' / WTF Happened to Benetiere?

Tonight I opened an '11 Benetiere ‘Cordeloux’ with a Flannery rack of lamb. It was one of the best wines – and the best pairings – in memory. (Pictures at the end.) Another testament to how well '11 N. Rhones are drinking and a reminder of Benetiere’s quality, particularly in '10-'13. This is one of the wines that hooked me on N. Rhone and one of the best of the vintage, up there with Juge.

But… I probably missed it here, but what happened with Benetiere? There was the odd '15 situation, and then were '16 or '17 never released? Is he done? If so, it’s a significant loss.

2011 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Cordeloux
Good god is this awesome. I’ve always liked this wine but it’s really firing on all cylinders right now. It’s open for business with a floral nose; intense, deep, brambly fruit that’s so fresh it’s almost crunchy; and a whole layered cornucopia of savory notes: meat, herbs, smoke, and blood. Yet for all the savagery, this is seriously polished Syrah—middleweight with refined structure and not a piece out of place. Reference quality and easily one of the best wines I’ve had this year. It will likely improve but it’s near apogee. Sadly my last ‘11 Cordeloux; I wish I could find more. Stealing at multiples of the release price. 95
IMG_1610.jpg
IMG_1613.jpg
IMG_1614.jpg

A certain someone. Name starts with Ch. ends with Fu. Bought them all…

Fantastic note, pics and commentary. Would love to hear how you prepped that rack.

The 2011 Benetiere is fantastic. Actually, 2011 is one of my favorite Northern Rhone vintages in the last 10 years, which may sound a bit contrarian to the critics, but it is a gorgeous, open and honest vintage, and has been since day one. The Juge you reference is amazing. Gonon produced a strong 2011 as well. I have some of this Benetiere left, need to move some forward in the queue.

I’m a bit perplexed as well about recent releases. I have a 6-pack of the 2015, and was waiting for 2016, and never saw it. Not sure what has happened. I’m sure Fu will chime in.

PS. Do not pop the 2010 if you have it. Needs lots of more time, and could be Benetiere’s best.

I’m 100% with you on '11. And yeah that '10 is a beast. And pricey these days! W-S shows it at $300-400.

The lamb prep was super simple. About 24 hrs before cooking, I put on a dry rub of liberal amounts of Momofuku Savory Salt (Momo’s salts are the sh*t) and Weber’s Kick’n Chicken (don’t laugh; it’s awesome and I put it on everything). Then reverse sear: bring it to ~115-120 in a 275 degree oven and then sear in hotter-than-hell cast iron. Beyond delicious.

(Seriously, the Momo salts are off-the-charts good and super versatile: QR – Momofuku Goods)

p.s. The 2012 is tasty too.

Yessir. I still have 4 btls of ‘12 in the cellar.

Anyone had the 12 lately?

Yes. Surprisingly open for business. Don’t touch the 13 though.

Thanks for the TN.

2011 is the last vintage I bought.

I’ve found many of the 12 N Rhônes have been rather open and enjoyable. The 12 Benetiere is really nice but I do think 10, 11 and 13 are much better. Definitely hold on 13.

The 15 remains an odd bird. I opened a bottle blind for a number of people (one of whom claimed the 15 Benetiere was the worst wine he’d ever had) a few weeks ago, and it was…fine, I guess. But not great, despite a 4 hour decant. Not much better on day 2.

I had the 11 a few months ago and really enjoyed it, though Benetiere was a producer I caught onto relatively late, so I don’t have too much. Maybe the 2015 fiasco will lower prices going forward… [snort.gif]

I´ve just asked a friend who was in the Rhone Valley last week and planned to pay a visit also to Benetiere.
He wrote to me: no reply by e-mail, on the phone only a tape - and the house/cellar looked deserted and empty, and all that when most other vignerons harvested or worked in their cellars.
???

Last weekend we drank the 2012 basic Rostaing “Ampodium” from magnum and, after an extended decant, it absolutely rocked with ribeyes. A terrific value too.

Had the 2012 tonight. It was rocking. Definitely more on the pretty/flowers side of Syrah. I loved it but was lighter and didn’t have the bacon fat nose I typically think of

Glad I have a few more but not sure they need time

I’ll add my kudos to the delicious-looking lamb chops!