TN: 2016 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard

• 2016 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (9/9/2020)
    Sometimes a wine just puts up a wall. Wait a little while and cracks appear. Wait a little longer and the wall falls. That was this wine. On opening it was an impenetrable solid, a wall of smooth, black stone. A half hour later there was the tiniest bit of an opening, with black fruit and olive poking through. Ninety minutes later it all came tumbling down, and I was sitting by a wood fire, meat turning on a spit, rosemary branches being used to baste the juices, while people smoked pipe tobacco and told tales of vignerons lost to time. I could see the smoke rising from the fire, and feel the heat of the flames. There was a promise of a chill in the air, but not now, not yet.

Posted from CellarTracker

Yum! I know Alan Rath, myself, and more than a few other locals who really enjoy Rhys adventures in Syrah and wish…

Nice note.

Sean

The Horseshoe Syrah is my favorite Rhys wine.

Excellent note David. The Horseshoe Syrah is terrific - and I really believe that all of the Horseshoe wines, including the Chardonnay and Pinot, have just gotten better and better. The '18s and 19s should be really special.

A great, evocative note.