TN: 2017 Joseph Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune

I think Chorey might be my find of the year. Every bottling from a good producer has been utterly delicious and enjoyable.

This has lovely and lifted sappy red fruit, a touch of spice and the surprising forest floor/sous-bois character that seems to be a hallmark of the appellation. Bright acidity, a touch of grippy tannin, a kiss of smoky oak and even a little soy character gives it a surprising savouriness for a wine this young. Apparently from 50+ year old vines.

I’ve been impressed with every Drouhin wine I’ve ever had and it’s so nice to see a domaine of that size give care and attention to even their most “humble” holdings.

1 Like

Chorey can really hit a sweet spot around 10 years after vintage, a lot of good maker use chorey fruit for their Bourgogne Rouge.

Cool note, thanks! Got a 2015 from Jean Pierre Guyon.

Drouhin’s Chorey-les-Beaune is known for being a special wine, with qualities well above its classification. I drank through a case of 1978 which I purchased at an auction in 2012 and nearly every bottle was delicious, real aged burgundy. So I suggest burying a few for a LOT longer than you think you could.

Thanks for the info! For the price, I am genuinely tempted to just go and pick up six more and put a couple away to see if that savouriness develops into that truffley/mushroom thing I like so much. Also tempted to grab the last of the Tollot-Beaut Choreys I saw on the same shelf…

The Chorey was my introduction to Drouhin and I enjoy it quite a bit. I’d also like to try the Tollot-Beaut and Rapet’s versions.

My TN for Tollot-Beaut’s 2017 Chorey is kicking around here - very similar, perhaps more robust but still a sous-bois influence that I was surprised by in a wine this young. Delectable.

A wine I’d grab if I happen to be at a random package store on vacation or big box store. A classy wine if you can find it.

Great call on the Drouhin. Dublere also made an excellent Chorey-les-Beaune.

Pierre Labet uses Chorey fruit for his Bourgogne VV and it is usually pretty tasty

(edited for Domaine name)

Bought a few on Sean’s note (plus having liked it in other vintages). Very pleasant and enjoyable, no blockbuster of course, but worth it’s price. I sense a little more rocky minerality than Sean described, this will be perfect with Friday night pizza.

Another in this price range is Arlaud’s Roncevie, which has just a bit more oomph and intensity this year.

Love the Roncevie, too. One of my “a-ha” moments at the beginning of my wine journey, actually.

Glad you enjoyed the wine, though - like you said, perfect for something delicious that you never have to feel bad about pulling the cork on.

I’ve drunk a few of these over the past year, but not recently. Opened one for tonight’s dinner, this bottle is more flavorful and delicious than any of the previous. Might need to source a few more :slight_smile:

Chorey-les-Beaune is my go-to Burgundy value play. We stayed in Chorey both times we visited the Cote d’Or, which is how I first discovered the area’s wines.

I agree with Sean that Tollot-Beaut makes a fine Chorey-les-Beaune.

Domaine du Château de Chorey’s Chorey-les-Beaune was also terrific (as were their wines from Beaune - especially the Tante Berthe), at least up until the 2009 vintage, the last produced by Benoit Germain before his death. I’m not sure what Chateau de Chorey is up to these days.

This is a special one. Has been for many years. Thanks for the note.

I agree Chateau de Chorey made good wines. It doesn’t exists anymore. I understand some of the vines (Beaune Cras at least) were bought by Louis Jadot or Domaine Gagey, which is why Jadot has a Beaune Cras now. I don’t know if Jadot/Gagey bought all of the vines or not.

1 Like

Drouhin Chorey does well with medium-term aging. Had excellent bottles of the 2007 and 2009 last year.