wine.com duplicate charge for June Bordeaux futures purchase

wine.com just hit me with a duplicate charge of over $2400 for a Bordeaux futures order that I placed on the 9th of June. Would recommend that you check the recent activity of your credit card accounts if you purchased futures from them this year. What a mess.

Have you spoken with them?

I have attempted to speak with customer service, but have not been able to get through to them. I “chatted” with a wine.com bot, but that was an exercise in futility. Wine.com is having a host of shipping problems at present, which they are attributing to a software upgrade, but I had not heard about anyone being charged again for futures they had purchased over three months ago. Unsettling.

Save the bot conversation, as supporting documentation to a loss, damage, or charge claim.

I have to say, I’ve been having some retailer problems as well, but not wine.com. I get the Covid mess that we are all in, but these big national retailers, who are actually having an uptick in business, should have their process issues solved by now. Or how about this, if you are swamped with all this new business, hire some people that are down on their luck because of Covid. I cannot even get through to a retailer that screwed up several orders in a row on me, yet every day they send me 1-2 emailers with new offers.

I’ve continued to have great service from the smaller, concierge retailers, like Chambers, Crush, etc.

+1

I mentioned this in the other thread, but same issue happened to me. Original order was June 7th, recharged today. Sent an email to the customer service account, but no response yet.

On behalf of Wine.com: It has come to our attention that some Wine.com customers were recently double charged for some futures orders. We are extremely sorry for this mistake and are working to reverse these charges immediately. We appreciate your business and your patience as we remedy these orders. Please note that there is no need to request a refund as we will automatically process the reversal on all of the affected orders. If you have any questions please contact our customer service team: Customer Care - Contact Us | Wine.com

What about the mistaken shipments?
Was there a data security breach, which customers need to address?

There has not been a data breach and there is no security issue. This is related to our recent systems change. Refunds will be processed ASAP. Again, our sincere apologies.

They are on it. I just received this email.

Dear Jonathan,

It has come to our attention that some Wine.com customers were recently double charged for futures orders. We are extremely sorry for this mistake and are working to reverse these charges immediately.

We appreciate your business and your patience as we remedy these orders. Please note that there is no need to request a refund as we will automatically process the reversal on all of the affected orders. If you have any questions please contact our customer service team.

Thanks for your patience,
The Wine.com Team

Looks like they have reversed the charges on my credit card.

Hi, thanks for clarifying that.
Will there be refunds for wines that shipped earlier than customers had requested, and in the middle of summer?

I still haven’t been able to get through to customer support.

Looks like these double charges are still happening. I was charged late yesterday.

I was double charged last night for a different futures order! I put a block on my credit card after the initial fiasco on Friday, and then wine.com attempted to charge my card again last night. What a hot mess.

Now I wonder if a vendor may have accidentally imported malware into its systems.

The lack of communication from the company means that anything is possible, but I think it’s unlikely. Everything that’s happened is consistent with a badly botched implementation, which should have been rolled back. But, given how badly they screwed up, I’m guessing they either didn’t allow for a rollback, or screwed up that part of the implementation as well.

Anyway, malware is in the eye of the beholder. I remember a tongue-in-cheek article back in the day which made a not ridiculous argument that Windows 95 was malware.

Someone from wine.com posted on the other thread saying it was not a cyberattack or anything malicious, they also emailed customers (I posted my email on the other thread also)saying they were aware of the duplicate charge issue, and one or two people on that thread also said they saw the charges reversed.