2016 Conterno

I was looking this AM for any reviews on the Barolos. Checked Vinous and nothing. Went to the Wine Advocate and also just the barbera. Finally looked at cellar tracker thinking someone must have visited. What gives ? Doesn’t Galloni normally taste this for several years ?

Giacomo Conterno? I haven’t seen any offerings for them, so perhaps they’re being released late. Have you checked to see if Walter Speller (Jancis Robinson) has reviewed them?

Galloni had some falling out with Aldo Conterno’s sons a few years back.

As far as I know there’s no public tasting notes on the 2016 Giacomo Conterno Barolo lineup. I imagine given Roberto seems to have been uncertain as to whether he was making Monfortino in this vintage, up until he made the call he may have not wanted notes published - just a guess.

The wines should arrive Oct/November in U.S I believe, alongside the 2014 Monfortino.

Is there another Conterno?

Surely not that anyone would simply reference by last name alone

The only thing scores will do is push pricing even higher. I hope they don’t get published

Should be released in the fall if it goes by past years. By the way Bartolo coming soon.

Once upon a time, not so long ago, Aldo’s wines were highly respected. He had a higher profile than his brother, probably in part because he studied at Berkeley after the war, so his English was excellent at a time when few people in the Langhe spoke it well. He had a real presence and charm, too.

I think the change in style there occurred in the mid to late '80s. I’ve had a few Aldo wines older than that and they were really nice, but even some of the '89s and '90s that people raved about when young haven’t been that impressive with age. Although you can also say that the Giacomo Conterno wines have definitely changed, too.

Of course there’s more than one Conterno, and more than two…there’s also Conterno Fantino, Franco Conterno and Paolo Conterno, and maybe more?

Bartolo is here

that’s what I meant.

Don’t forget about Diego!

I think they’re slated to arrive stateside (or at least in Texas) in November

I received mine in Chicago today.

You got G. Conterno today? I have an order in and I’ve heard November. Could be wrong.

oops sorry. I meant Bartolo Mascarello.

Aldo?

I think it was rhetorical.