At What Price Point Will You Boycott The 2008 Taittinger Comtes?

Perhaps redundant knowing there are other threads regarding this Champagne, but this is meant to be comprehensive regarding how much you are or are not willing to pay. So if you have bought Comtes in past vintages, what is your cutoff point for the 2008. For me: anything higher than $150.

funny just saw it offered for $153 of all prices. guess you’re out!

$150 seems about right for me. People tend to think it will be an eventual waiting game for the prices to drop below this threshold.

If not buying wine because the price is more than I want to pay for it constitutes boycotting, I am currently boycotting thousands of wines!

1 Like

It’s a sliding scale
 A case at $120, 4-6bottles at $140, max 2 at $160, nothing if above $160

Remember, we had the same conversation with 08 Dom early. It eventually settled to its regular pricing.

Are you not buying any wines that you bought in the past?

I thought the same thing. A “boycott” is a much more active, punitive thing than just not buying something because the price is too high.

Agreed. My favorite wines are from Jacky Truchot. If he were still making wine, I would hope I would be buying them. But, in today’s world, his wines on the secondary market go for a tremendous amount of money. I am not boycotting his wines. I drink what I have, lovingly. I just don’t buy more because the price is too high.

The OP just used the wrong word. Boycotting is not a proper word for what he is getting at. It is an improper use of the term.

boycott
[ˈboiˌkĂ€t]
VERB
withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.
“we will boycott all banks which take part in the loans scheme”

I won’t just not buy it. I’m protesting what I consider to be an unreasonable price increase.

1 Like

Received a few offers in the $180 range. Easy pass for me at this price, as I would be surprised if the market will stomach such a significant increase in these macabre times. No rush, there is an ocean of great champagne out there. If it falls to $130 I will buy in quantity; if $150 just a few bottles.

1 Like

I bought a case of '06 at an average price of $110. It is too quick for a 50% price increase so will only buy a couple and only if I can find it around $150.

I’m with others
I paid $130/bottle for my Dom P in the NH wine outlets. So I’m guessing my max price is going to be somewhere around $140/bottle. Otherwise I’ll just buy more from the houses I do think are still a value.

I only wish that luxury champagne price increases were in my Top 100,000 reasons to protest in today’s world. [wow.gif]

Somehow, Taittinger has succeeded at changing its perceived value, at least among respondents in this thread. While the 2006 was typically purchased at ~$110, posters here are prepared to buy at least some of the 2007 at $130/$140/$150. Pretty good marketing when an 18%-36% increase (even for a great vintage) is acceptable just because >50% isn’t!
FWIW, we drink very few luxury cuvĂ©e bottles, but I’m in for one at $145 pre-arrival. champagne.gif
Regards,
Peter

At $125 -135 will buy a couple of cases. $136-155 3 bottles. $155-165 will buy one bottle, and taste blind against Dom and Cristal and the 2006 Taittinger.

At $166+, I will avoid, boycott whatever.

$150 is my limit. Too many other great Champagnes for a lot less than that.

$130 if I’m going to buy more than a few bottles.

This is just about where I am

1 Like

This reminds me of when I stopped buying Chave Hermitage because it went over $100.

1 Like

My husband and I both like CdC, and it’s rare for our tastes to intersect that well. Unless the price gets truly crazy (like well in excess of $200) I’ll probably buy a bunch