TN: NV Robert Moncuit Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Blancs

I remember having a Robert Moncuit wine once before and finding it a bit austere/lacking body. This one is a completely different story and in fact damn near a perfect young entry level blanc de blancs for my palate. I was about to make a pizza with chanterelles, pancetta, bufala mozzarella and onion as toppings and while my brain was saying Italian red my heart wanted Champagne. Going with the latter was not a bad decision as from Zalto Universal at cellar temp this fizz turned out to be really good with the pizza. At this very moment the value is superb compared to the likes of Agrapart, Péters etc that have gone up in price from where they once were.

• NV Robert Moncuit Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Blancs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (12.9.2020)
    A blend of 2013 and 2014 harvests from Le Mesnil sur Oger and Oger, fermented in oak, disgorged March 2019, 3 g/l dosage. On the nose it is fresh and saline up front, very uplifting. Then comes this wonderful leesy, toasty and faintly buttery richness that just fills the nostrils in a most delicious manner. All the way classic and seductive aromatics. The mousse is caressing and persistent. This is quite dry yet impeccably balanced out by its textural richness and the perfect ripeness of the fruit. As far as young blanc de blancs go this borders on decadent yet is immensely drinkable and highly food friendly. There are some bitter tones that complement the richness and the plentiful autolytic notes brilliantly. Midway through the wine starts to build some rather attractive tension and finishes in a splendidly mouthwatering fashion. I find this a very, very well made wine that showcases great use of oak.

Posted from CellarTracker