Beta release coming...

Inspired by Brian Stotter’s post on a recent bottle of Montecillo and his query on the next release I sent word up to the Mountain.

Word came down that the next release will be October 6th. 2014 Montecillo and Vare.

I also heard from a visitor to the Mountain that the 2019 Jesud, the first vintage from the estate vineyard, is a stunning wine and one of the best wines this extremely experienced Napa taster had tried on a recent Napa trip.

Absolutely love the old school style of these wines and the very fair prices. I think there is still some room on the mailing list.

Full disclosure: Ketan is a good friend!

1 Like

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Hell yes, thanks for sharing. Can’t Wait! (Bart Scott voice)

1 Like

How do these compare stylistically to the Bedrock and Di Costanzo versions of the Montecillo Cab?

I have not had either producer’s wine from Montecillo. I have had Di Constanzo wines and would guess it is closer to that. The Beta wines are throwback wines. Elegant, hints of green without being underripe and a coolness / lightness I don’t see in Napa today. Although I don’t drink that much recent Napa cab. Hope that helps

I’ve not had Bedrock’s version, but I’ve had Arnot Roberts, Beta and Di Costanzo. If I put them on a scale of 1-10 (lean to bold), I would put AR as a 2, Beta as a 5, and Di Costanzo as a 6.

I personally prefer the Beta over the Di Costanzo, but only by a hair. No losers in that race.

Thank you. That makes sense to me. Would be a good tasting.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Sounds like it’s right in my wheelhouse. Will be looking forward to the release!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update Robert - exciting news!

1 Like

October 6th, 2020

Dear friends -

Although it is an uncomfortable time to be releasing wine, we have decided to move forward with our previously planned release. We will send an update of how the challenges from this year are coming along with our offering on Tuesday, October 13th at 9AM PST. This release will include both our Monticello and Vare Cabernet’s produced from the 2014 vintage, 203 cases were produced between the two vineyards.

We truly appreciate all the support and well wishes during this difficult time for our community.

Thank You,

Ketan Mody

I know it is a very tough time for all. I will let Ketan give you the details but suffice it to said he was significantly impacted by the fires. I can’t wait to support him with this offer. Knowing him the orders will mean as much as the cash flow.

Just got the email as well. Anyone know the prior release prices for these?

Damn. I was watching the updates about Diamond Mountain with dread…

Vare was $85 per bottle last year, sold in a 3 pack

I passed on the Montecillo. I may reverse that this year.

As with the Vare, Montecilllo ‘was’ priced at $85 (for the 2011 - 2014 vintages) I hope damage, if any is minimal on Diamond Mountain. I heard from Mary Constant that the original winery building on her former property burned.

Are all the more recent vintages aging in bottle somehwere? What’s his theory for waiting so long to release?

From what he told me by e-mail, Ketan says that they picked the vineyard on Diamond Mountain and another vineyard called Hamilton that he farms, but that his fruit from Montecillo, Maus, Lupina, and Vare vineyards all have smoke taint.

If it is helpful, here are my notes on the 2014 Beta from a tasting I did with Ketan on Diamond Mountain last year.

2014 CABERNET SAUVIGNON, MONTECILLO VINEYARD MOON MOUNTAIN 14.1% $85 92
2014 CABERNET SAUVIGNON, VARE VINEYARD OAK KNOLL 14.1% $85 94

2014 CABERNET SAUVIGNON, MONTECILLO VINEYARD The nose is rich black fruit, chocolate, licorice and dried plum. The palate entry is an expressive violet on entry with a concentrated core of mouth-coating black plum and fresh red raspberry acidity on the finish. Drink 2020 – 2028. 2014 CABERNET SAUVIGNON, VARE VINEYARD The nose is a deep black cherry and plum with underlying cocoa. The palate echoes the nose adding a lean mouth-coating blackberry, camphor and lingering lavender on the finish. Drink 2020 – 2032.

1 Like

While that’s not great news, it is at least better than what I was imagining (e.g., the Diamond Mountain vineyard burning through given the work he’s put in to plant and farm that). Looking forward to supporting him through the upcoming offer.

Yes they are. I think it is a combination of he wants them to age and he lives in the vineyard and gets around to it when he can.