PSA: 2009 Vilmart & Cie Les Blanches Voies Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut

Vinopolis has 2 bottles of this new cuvee for $389. William Kelley told us about this recently and he rates it 96+ points.

“A thrilling new cuvée from Vilmart launches with the 2009 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs, a special bottling produced from lieu-dit Les Blanches Voies that was fermented and matured in 228-liter barrels from Damy for ten months before spending fully 48 months sur lattes. It was disgorged in March 2017 with four grams per liter dosage. In other words, this derives from the same source as the Coeur du Cuvée and sees an additional year on yeasts and a touch less dosage. Opening in the glass with notes of lemon oil, wet stones, warm biscuits and English walnuts, it’s full-bodied, racy and searingly concentrated, with a tight-knit, chiseled core, terrific acidity and a long, chalky finish. Only 2,900 bottles were produced, and it’s worth every effort to secure one or two.”

wine-searcher has 6 listings cheaper than this, with Benchmark being the lowest at $319, but clearly not selling at that price. I don’t get the PSA…

PSA these were available for £150 IB in London!

Now that’s a PSA. Gotta love how “indispensable” the three tier system is.

I won’t tell you the price for private clients then!

The lieu-dit Weinlagen

Without regard to the price, this is a really, really pretty wine, but also the tightest, youngest tasting 2009 that I have tried. Right now, blind, it fits the profile of a 2008 more than a 2009 with its raciness and concentration. When compared to the Coeur de Cuvee, the pure Chardonnay and lower dosage give you a much clearer picture of the precision and low pH style of Vilmart. The oak is easily absorbed by the wine and this shold be a beauty over time.