Some recent '05 Bdx

The '05 Bdx vintage was the only the second I bought on release and my first vintage of the century. Overall, these mid-level bdx were delightful. Fresh and moving towards maturity, without any over ripe or pruney notes. Tannins were present but in balance.
The Ch Oliver was a phenomenal surprise, though the Ferriere may end up being the best of the bunch with a little more time.

• 2005 Château Chasse-Spleen - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Moulis en Médoc (9/12/2020)
    Mid weight bdx. Fragrant nose, saddle leather, cedar, and tart red fruits (can you smell tart? Or sour?). Palate was crunchy and fresh, mid weight, fine slightly tart red fruit mixed with more mature elements. Some mint and repeating tobacco and leather elements. Moderate finish. Tannins rather fine and mild at this point. Of note this was rather dark in then glass with no bricking—so probably in its early drinking window. (92 pts.)
  • 2005 Château Ferrière - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (9/5/2020)
    Early maturity. Probably has a decent amount of merlot as I didn’t get any austerity from the tannins—and most were rather integrated. Maturing fruit, leather, elegant nose. Just lovely. Drink or over the next 10yrs. (91 pts.)
  • 2005 Château Olivier - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (8/13/2020)
    What a surprise! This has really blossomed in the past few years. Expressive nose of black fruits, smoke, and hints of flints. Primary fruit has resolved, showing plus and deep dark fruits with secondary notes of cedar and mild mint and eucalyptus notes mixed in. Mild tannins on the finish, these are mostly resolved but just a hint of austerity and bitterness. Shows some tobacco and smoke on the finish. Clearly in its early drinking plateau—no reason to wait as I don’t expect this to “improve” but I’m sure it will evolve from here. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Château Les Ormes de Pez - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (9/29/2019)
    This is in a great spot—early maturity. It’s on the lean side but typical blackout fruit character. Spicy herbal and a bit of smoke and burnt ends on the nose. Palate fine, narrow, still tannic and fresh, but everything in balance. Nice length on the finish. I don’t see this getting “better” just different. Fans of more “classic” bdx will appreciate. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Had 2005 Pichon Baron and Pontet Canet recently. PB was good, but too young…PC was just too young and never really showed much. Will check back in at age 20.

All those examples sound like they are doing very well right now.

I had a lesser known 05 St Em a couple of days ago - Balestard la Tonnelle

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9216&p=87585

Now is a good time to be pulling corks on the modest & mid range wines, IMO

Pretty my rule of thumb for all classified bordeaux from a strong year.

Thanks for the information, I have been wondering whether to open my Chasse Spleen and will now go and dig it out.

No rush. Clearly young, but I enjoyed mine.

I don’t disagree. If I recall correctly '05 was the most tannic year on record, at least at the time. Are people even opening their '00’s? I’m barely opening my '96’s from the classified growths. The only classified growth here was Ferriere and it’s moderate amount of Merlot really seemed to soften it (IMO). There was also been positive notes on '05 Branaire-Ducru and '05 Lagrange on this board but haven’t opened any of mine.

At least in my experience the Cru Bourgeois level wines are starting to be enjoyable.

Agree completely. The bigger 95s and 96s aren’t really in prime time yet for my tastes.

But like you, I also have been enjoying some petit chateau and cru bourgeois from 05 of late.

Great to hear on the Olivier! I have 1/2 cs in storage. In the “great” years it can be quite the bargain, and long life to boot. 1989 still going strong IMHO.

Pulled the cork last night Josh, still dark coloured, good tobacco and leather on the nose, slightly too low in acidity for freshness, but comforting to drink. 5 more to go, but as you said no rush.

Wow, didn’t think these would go that long. Maybe I underestimated it!