2018 Leflaive

Been getting lots of offers in the US the past week for 2018 Leflaive. Prices are at least 15-25% above 2017 from what I can see. 2017 prices were already inflated, but it was a great white vintage. I did buy some 2018 1ers in UK earlier this spring and glad I did because these US prices are terrible. Especially since they say the wines have been over here since last year so not subject to the tariff.

Anyone buying at these prices? I bought a decent bit of 2017 GCs, but not touching 2018 GCs at these prices points. $900 for Chevy and $750 for Batard was already pushing it. Over $1k and into $1200 for Chevy, there’s better value elsewhere IMO.

I bought some from my 2018 allocation but didn’t touch the GCs. The pricing is high and I didn’t hear 18 hit at the same level as 17.

I used to buy Leflaive sparingly- mostly premier crus and a little Bienvenue and Chevalier. But it has been years. The major onset of premox, combined with the high prices and the now-deceased former owner’s attitude about premox, left me cold despite having had many glorious encounters with Leflaive over the years.

Among white burgundies, I think Leflaive is the great “brand” name- that is certainly the case here in Texas, with Ramonet a close second only because they do not have the quantities of wine Leflaive does to share around. For that reason, they still sell quite well- but I think to a smaller audience because many serious collectors who keep up with the latest news are put off by price, premox worries- or some combination of both. Around here that just means the loyal buyers get larger allocations- and seem willing to take every single bottle.

As always, I’ve put some orders in for the Chevy. Usually you get quite a low allocation but this year it was much bigger (less lauded vintage and Covid economic crisis). The prices you mention, however, are not what you pay back here in Switzerland (when buying from the importing retailers). In US dollar terms the price was 575.

Top-level wines again since about 2016/2017. DIAM adds a level of assurance that wasn’t previously there. After that, it’s only a question of whether you’re comfortable with the prices or not…

Wait for it. I got 2017 recently for 20% less than the prices you mentioned.

One question for those who might know: Has anyone had the Leflaive Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie?

It’s not easy to keep track of some of the small volume ‘maison’ cuvées of Domaine Leflaive but I only know the Olivier Leflaive wine…

I’ve not had the Maltroie but I’d like to try one. I believe it’s Domaine fruit from a 0.17 hectare plot – offered for the first time in '18.

Hi Ryan & Alex
And as if by magic - I get an offer for the wine today - of course, from ‘domaine’ not Olivier…
Just a hair more than the Clavoillons…

For the Maltroie? At what tariff?

145 chf vs the Clavoillon at 139…

Thanks. In the US I received both at the same price ($210)

Agree with this 100 percent. The wines are back in top form, though it is clear that 2018 is at least a small step down from 2017. Time will tell how big a step down. The Leflaive market in the US, as elsewhere, comes down to price. It only takes about 500 collectors in the US market who want a healthy allocation to support these prices.

I paid £104 for the Clavoillon in the UK from the direct importer. Sounds fairly close.

Also got the Pucelles for £213

I would too at those prices! Enjoy! [cheers.gif]

Hard to see the value at those prices, but of course I haven’t tried '17s or '18s. Given you can probably nearly get 2 for 1 Bouchard Montrachet over the Leflaive Chevalier I think I know what I would do. Of course, easy for me to say as I haven’t been tempted / offered any and have been able to buy other excellent wines. Overall, I reckon Chevalier is at a higher standard now than (say) 10-20 years ago with excellent examples from Jadot (they’re back), Bouchard and others. Not sure Leflaive warrants 2x the price of those, though of course Leflaive has always had that view.

Hard to top the 2017 lineup. As chrystilline as I have tasted from them. If 2018s are coming out at a higher price I would look for 2017 PCs.

what a great set of vineyards owned by Leflaive and what a checkered history. 92s were baked on the W Coast when shipped in a non refrigerated truck during summer. Then horrible oxidation beginning in 07. Now premox seems controlled but pricing is insane. I’ve been out for a long time though I’d love to taste some if pricing reached earth.

When you put it that way… Very true. I paid $575 for 2018 Bouchard Monty vs $1200 asking for Leflaive Chevy. Makes it even easier to pass on Leflaive and buy more Bouchard if I just have an itch to spend money.