Vintage Bordeaux wines - investigation

Do not often buy at auction anymore, as prices general are on the high note. But a sale of old vintage Bordeaux from a cold cellar made me interested, also as estimates was low. Even though nicely stored, I know it is somewhat of a gamble, total investment was 1000 euro, so I guess I will survive even if most are not alive anymore…

1bt Dausac margaux 1945
2bt Conseillante pomerol 1937
2bt Nenin pomerol 1937
1bt Troplong Mondot 1937
1bt Rausan-Segla 1937
2bt Gruaud Larose 1934 (no labels)
1bt Branaire Ducru 1933
2bt Marquis de Terme margaux 1929 (beautiful labels, one missing vintage)
1bt Durfort Vivens margaux 192? (label in decay, but the side of cork says, 192, but last digit somewhat erased, but many good vintages in 20s…)
1bt Coudrais Margaux (vintage missing, but another similar bottle from auction said 1928, coat of arms looks like 3 lions, horses or?)
1bt Rausan-Segla (looks kind of old, maybe even earlier than 1920s, Cruse bottling)

all bottles seems like bottled at chateau, however not 100% sure about the gruaud-larose 1934 and missing vintage Rausan is a Cruse bottling

So, maybe you can help my investigation here :slight_smile:

maybe you have experience in any of the wines in the old vintages above?
maybe you have knowledge about the Coudrais Margaux wine, cannot find it on google…? (see picture below)
maybe you have knowledge about the the approx age of the Rausan-Segla?, I have tried to read the side of the cork, but glass is somewhat dark. (see picture below)

Paging Monsieur Audoze.

We already know his answer: these are much too young and should be held until the whisper becomes louder. [cheers.gif]

a quick update, I scanned through my old bordeaux books from Broadbent and Clive Coates, but no luck with the Coudrais

Also removed some of the led foil on the old bottle of Rausan-Segla to check the full side of the cork - but same issue, bottle simply to dark and difficult to look through.
Will see if I can source more powerfull light…

I would have taken a flyer as well at 1000 Euro!

Some of those vintages, like 29 and 45 (I’ve not had a ‘45) are known to be excellent. I think 28 and 34 are strong as well. I’ve had some classified growths from these vintages at Bern’s in Tampa, and all were alive and quietly lovely. Leoville Poyferre, Leoville Barton, Haut Bailly, Giscours, among a few others. Start popping and posting!

$1000 for those wines is a steal. The two bottles of 1937; Conseillante alone would fetch more. But this is the type of lot, you have friends over for a weekend lunch, and open a bottle each time.

The Images did not come through BTW.

thanks for heads up on the images - it shows on mine, I am sharing from a google account. I will have to look into this

Good idea gathering friends and have some fun :slight_smile:

I think I found a way using imgbb - let me know if images are still not visible

I can see the photos.

Yes, I can see them.

Robert, nice with good stories on old vintage bordeaux. I have had a good amount, one of the best was Domaine Chevalier 1929. Close to perfection.

My best guess is that some are dead, and some are nice surprise.

I will open the 1945 Dauzac when my father in law turns 75 in one week, my plan is definitely to drink sooner rather than later :slight_smile:

any good advise on the best glassware to use? I usually use Riedel sommeliers bordeaux - but it is a large glass for these old wines. Wonder if there is a special design for old vintage bordeaux?

a photo more to share some of the nice looking labels :slight_smile:

I sure hope Conseillante never made it to Australia…

If the bottles are in good shape, I’d expect the Gruaud to be fabulous.

so, opened the first one.

no special reason, so I opened one, that I had the lowest confidence in. Nenin 1937

Served as appetizer with toasted bread and chanterelles.

Opened 4 hours in advance with durand - cork came out without any problem

as you can see the color was rather light - so not much confidence, I was ready to dispose.

But actually, it was a charming wine, with light red fruit and complex notes. No bad flavors, but very light bodied and best as a drink in it self.

I hope it is a good sign for the other wines, hoping for a bit more color and body :slight_smile:

Beautiful clarity! Very striking

Amazing, an 83 year old wine. Drinking history!

What an adventure this is for you. I am pretty jealous right now. Please update us with the rest.

Tbh that fill level considering what you poured into the glass looks a little dodgy to me! It does look very light bodied

around mid shoulder I would say the level was. I agree with color not looking strong, but still a charming wine.

Drank over 30 mins - with no real change.

Slow ox for 4 hours - did not touch it before, always wonder if this is the best way - but it seems to do the trick.

By the way - I purchased Riedel Sommerlier old bordeaux (chablis) glasses for the old wines, happy with the purchase

Cool find. For $1k I’d buy that lot and roll the dice too.

Please keep sharing.