Two Zooms: Sociando Mallet 1982 and François Cotat Monts Damnes 2008

Monday night; the Sociando was showing extremely well. Old fashioned Bordeaux. Slight ferrous note, red fruit and very definite herbal note. A bit rustic, but lovely for all that. Good finish 92

Tuesday night. This is archetypal Sancerre. Still bright yellow. Sauvignon Blanc notes encased in serious minerality. Massive finish. Total delight. 95

End of august 2020 :
François Cotat Sancerre Monts Damnés 2008 : 16,5/17
Chavignol évident en raison de cette note prononcée de sureau (de melon, aussi). Vin très jeune, strict, marqué par une acidité inhabituelle pour le domaine (pensé Vatan Clos la Néore 2013 pour le coup).

Note : July 2020
François Cotat Sancerre Monts Damnés 2005 : 18/20
Remarquable typicité avec ces fragrances de sureau, de fraise des bois. Riche, concentré et fin, aux subtils parfums. Le nectar persiste en bouche et résiste parfaitement au réchauffement à l’air, ce qui est la marque des grands. Le rapport qualité/prix, comme toujours, est ahurissant.

For both, I would say archetypal Chavignol (with specific elder aromas)

Interesting that you mention that the acidity is unusually high, as I associate both Cotats with well balanced wines with good acidity. Never too much, but this one certainly showed it, and it actually worked very well with the steelhead trout we were eating.

For me, François Cotat tends more to residual sugar than to high acidity (that said when we taste blind, comparing François Cotat, Pascal Cotat, Gérard Boulay and Edmond Vatan).
At the same time, a good friend told me that he recently tasted a François Cotat MD 2008 not so acid (however, 2008 remains a fresh vintage compared to 2009).
Btw, the Dagueneau Monts Damnés has a very different style, very focused, as for the Pouilly-Fumé (less Chavignol, more “traditional” Sancerre).

I was on the Bdx zoom, and thought my bottle of the Sociando was quite nice, a bit fresher than 2 other bottles of '82 I’ve had in last couple years. Tangy acid for an '82, typical SM herbs, the iron note Mark mentions. But I’d drink soon.

I went through my '09 Cotats which were a bit heavy/hot, but have enjoyed the '08s. Still have a mixed box of 08 in storage (Francois CdB and MD, Pacal Grande Cote and MD), sounds like time to pull it and have fun.

Probably my favorite vintage from the vertical we did. Wait until you can invite me over. I promise to bring something good. And to play with the dog. :slight_smile:

Excellent on the 82 SM! I’ve had this puppy a couple times in recent years – both 750 and mag – and, while your description is middle of the fairway Sociando, honestly, my 82s have been considerably more tired than what you describe.

As it was a Zoom, there were seven bottles opened. I think mine was one of the better ones, one was off, and the rest varied from very good to showing its age. Many remarked that they were concerned when they decanted the wine, but it got better and fresher with air.

The 2008 Beaujeu last year was killer! [worship.gif]

• 2008 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Les Culs de Beaujeu - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (10/3/2019)
    The oldest Cotat I’ve had…and it is brilliant! THAT nose! Floral spring flowers, lime blossom, lemongrass, mint tea, cool sea breeze, crushed rocks. So crystalline and youthful looking…looks like a current release. In the mouth…it’s all about the geology man! Why I love these wines SO much…that killer saline crushed limestone/flint/rock/chalk…you can taste every struggle these old vines have gone through. There is fruit here too…very bright and energized citrus fruit…zippy and tangy lemon lime, quince, gooseberry…also some faint tropical mango and pineapple in there as well. Really nice waxiness feel which kind of swaddles the intense citrus and minerals together making for perfect integration. Finishes long, tart, and spicy…leaving you in mineral Heaven! I’m just blown away by these wines every time I have one…Beaujeu being my fav. in the Cotat stable. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

We just bought a gas heater, so can do outdoors through Nov.

Kelly, as Mark notes he and I got couple of the better bottles. Mine was much fresher than a bottle at a vertical last year.

I’ve opened a couple of the 1982s, including one a few days after we drank the 1990 together. It was much more green/rustic, but enjoyable. I would have scored in in the 90-91 range, at least a few points below that awesome 1990. Given at least some similaries between the vintages, I was surprised to see so much difference in the wines. I also thought a 1985 opened a few months ago was at least a point or two better than the 1982 and also midway between the other two vintages in style. That said, I didn’t feel like either of the 1982s I opened were tired (but I also generally like older wines).