Zoom event w/Rioja producer Javier Arizcuren 9/23

Javier Arizcuren is a reactionary rebel, championing the truly indigenous varieties of Rioja Baja (or Oriental). So, instead of Tempranillo, he works with Garnacha and Mazuelo. Most of his vines are very old and he is meticulous and adventurous.

An accomplished architect, who specializes in designing wineries, Javier established the first “urban wine cellar” in Logrogño. He commutes well over an hour to his vines in Quel. His family has been growing grapes there for generations but since 2011, he is the first to produce his own wine.

Javier will talk and taste with us on Wednesday, September 23rd at 3:00 ET on Zoom. Details will be posted here soon.

N.B. VDLT is the sole purveyor of his wines in the US.

Hey Greg, can you post the zoom info?

championing the truly indigenous varieties of Rioja Baja (or Oriental)

But those are both from Aragón!

Tempranillo however, is the offspring of Albillo Mayor and Benedicto and nobody knows exactly where it first appeared, although it’s been in Rioja for centuries.

And Cabernet Sauvignon has been grown in Rioja longer than Garnacha!

Anyway, what’s the link up for the Zoom?

Sorry, these requests came too late for me to see. But that doesn’t mitigate that I forgot to post the promised link. Sorry!

My use of the term indigenous was inapt. I did not mean to suggest those varieties originated in Rioja Baja. My intent was to highlight that in the past, they were the predominant varieties and arguably, better suited to this environment. Most of these vines were uprooted in favor of Tempranillo. Arizcuren, whose family has been growing grapes in Quel for more than a century, believes this was done because Tempranillo is, or is perceived to be, more marketable, and in the case of Mazuelo, a much easier crop to manage.