TN: 2006 Jean Bourdy Côtes du Jura Rouge (France, Jura, Côtes du Jura)

• 2006 Jean Bourdy Côtes du Jura Rouge - France, Jura, Côtes du Jura (9/16/2020)
    Open in bottle for an hour…rust crancherry, slight orange rim color…gorgeous nose of leather, black pepper, sous bois, cigar ash, dried cherry/orange. Been 6yrs since the last test drive on this, and it looks to be aging at a glacial pace! Still quite rustic and structured…an ala Barolo intense acidity and tannin dryness, yet a delicate transparency of rose florals and dried fruits. Then you get to the Rhone with earth, meat, leather, and that black pepper…although more nuanced than previous bottles…very prevalent cigar ash giving it some dirtiness…yea you can sip this in the Rhone vigneron’s garage…yet also some elegance that the Burgundy vig won’t kick you out the Domaine’s gates. Always thought of this wine as the love child of Cornas and Burgundy…but I think Barolo has now made it a threesome! Oh, by the way, I love this wine! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice to a see a positive note on this. I have to admit when I tried one a little while back, I found the tannins pretty overwhelming.

(Posted to ct before I saw this.)

A reason why they make wines 100++yrs old still drinking amazing…so I’ve heard. [cheers.gif]

got a b of this from 1985. I should drink now?

I see you throwing out a lot of geographic descriptors…Burgundy…Barolo…Rhone…
but really, the Jura is its own thing.

Sounds awesome. We visited the tiny cellar last summer and were welcomed by one of the Bourdy brothers. Dank and cobwebby, gnarly looking barrels, all sorts of old stuff for sale. Wines all tasted pristine. Walked out with a vin jaune but would have bought a couple cases if it was feasible to lug back to the u.s. Wine geek heaven.

Definitely shot. Please send it to me so I can dispose of it properly [wink.gif]

We also dropped in on Bourdy in 2016, no appointment. Similar experience. Large old cobwebby cellar. I remember him telling us they had several other cellars nearby. They maintain a large library of back vintages. I seem to recall the oldest in the cellar being a 200+ year old vin de paille. Perhaps at one point the back vintages were affordable, but when we visited the current release Cotes du Jura rouge was only 10 euro, while the back vintages going back 25 - 50+ years started at somewhere over 250 euros.

I also quite like these wines. Pale and light in style with bright acid. All red fruit and some peppery and rustic nuance. Cellaring some of the '11, '12, and '14.