TN: 2016 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon Kronos Vineyard (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2016 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon Kronos Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/16/2020)
    Normally the single vineyard/reserve Napa Cabernet Sauvignon is a step up in richness/extraction from the basic Cabernet. In this case the Kronos is a big step up in refinement, and that’s from one of the most refined “basic” Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignons. There’s a subtle fruit sweetness that pegs it as a Napa Cab, but the mid-palate and finish are about layers of complexity, woven together like a needlepoint on fine silk. The bumps of the stitches are the tannins, with the entire piece stretched across the frame. It’s in a state of tension right now, tannins and acidity volleying with the fruit in an evenly matched game. The oak is a supporting player, along for the ride, but never driving. Balance and elegance are the key words, and a long life is ahead of the wine. Outstanding.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note, David,
I’ve only had the Kronos, and in fact any Corison, in older vintages, but your note makes me want to seek some bottles of this out.

I rarely say that wines at this price point are worth it, but this is worth it.

These are really well made but last I checked it was like a buck seventy five. Uggghh, tough Purchase to justify. It’s a pass here. Sadly there are so few Napa Cabs that are this good, but reasonably priced.

The “basic” Napa Cabernet is still an amazing wine. I thought the Kronos was a price too far until I finally tasted it.

How does the Kronos compare to the Napa Cab? I’ve never had Kronos or Sunbasket, but have enjoyed many vintages of the Napa (probably consumed too early).

Like I said in my note, it’s a significant step up in refinement. The style is the same as the Napa Cab.

Sorry, I totally blanked on your note above–I do enjoy your tasting notes, btw.

Appreciate it!

No problem. I blank on my notes all the time.