RieslingKenner - 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Horizontal Tasting

RieslingKenner - 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Horizontal Tasting

In celebration of the arrival of the highly anticipated 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein wines to our local market, Patrick Rauber and I decided to take advantage of a beautiful Sunday afternoon to have a rooftop tasting of the 8 different Riesling bottlings that made it to the Chicago area (and into our cellars.)

Doing a horizontal tasting of wines at this level of quality and consistency is a rare and special occasion. All of the wines were popped and poured and enjoyed in order from dry to sweet, along the Pradikat scale.
One thing that we can say about the 2019 wines from Hofgut Falkenstein is WOW! Each wine showed a clear expression of place through the crystalline lens of Erich and Johannes Weber. Racy, pur, featherlight, and incredibly delicious. This is truly an epic vintage from a winery that somehow keeps setting a higher bar.
On top of the beautiful weather and phenomenal wines, our group of participants again wowed us with their generosity. The focus of our giving was again to fight our local food insecurity issues for those less fortunate among us. We were lucky enough to have been able to partner with the incredible Lakeview Pantry. They are a small but hugely impactful organization here in Chicago providing food and support to those individuals who need our help. Please take a look at our direct link below and donate if you are so compelled:
https://secure.qgiv.com/event/lakpanp2p/account/1015543

On to the wines:

2019 Niedermenniger Im Kleinschock Riesling Kabinett AP 20

Racy with lip smacking acidity. With just a few moments of air this starts to become more approachable. Delicious and playful with a wonderful sweet and sour lemon lime note.

2019 Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett Alte Reben Gisela AP 8

Immediately showing more depth from the older vines. Asian pears, sweet herbs, and juicy white stone fruit. Laser like acidity that keeps your palate focused, refreshed and begging for more. This wine shows sweet fruit, but that acidity cleans everything up and provides for a long delicious finish. A star in the making.

2019 Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett Kugel Peter AP 12

This showed distinctly ‘softer’ in comparision to the others. Granted, that is in relation to the others and the natural zip that comes with Falkenstein. That being said, it was abosutely delicious and made for a wonderful drinking experience on this day. Ripe peach, meyer lemon, and whipped cream. Juicy and mouthfilling on the palate. There is so much there, that it definitely seems like it needed more air to start to show its true colors.

2019 Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett Feinherb AP 15

Fantastic tangy wine that clearly should have been poured before the Kugel Peter (my mistake). This showed similar notes to the Im Kleinschock with that wonderful ying and yang of sweet and sour lemon lime notes. There was a bit more depth to this one though with juicy orchard fruit and slate. Dangerously drinkable and delicious.

2019 Krettnacher Ober Schäfershaus Riesling Spätlese Trocken AP 18

What a difference to start off the Spätlese group! Maybe it was a bit of sponti or reduction, but there was a dominate note of coconut and exotic perfume to start. With air those faded a bit, but never left. Waxy kumquats, a touch of florality and crushed rock. Seemed especially delicate, compared to the rest.

2019 Niedermennig Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese Feinherb Onkel Peter AP 4

Showing riper peach and nectarine notes, this wine was a warmer in fruit quality, but with added complexity of sweet herbs, slate, and creamy notes. This wine showed more are more complexity and depth after ever taste. There is a LOT here. I think this one will show more of its potential faster than some of the others.

2019 Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Spätlese AP 14

Wow! This was my Wine of the Lineup. Explosive piquant white peach sitting on a mouthwatering mineral and citrus infused frame. Pretty notes like walking through a field of wildflowers and a long spice laced finish that lasted on and on. Oh, that finish. I can’t get it out of my head. Wow…

2019 Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Auslese Förster AP 5

Incredible way to wrap up the tasting. If it didn’t come right after the AP 14, this very well could have been the star. Sweet stone fruits showing both ripe round fruit and linear piquancy and tang. There was texture and energy in this wine that set this apart from the others. That added ripeness provided wonderful depth and nuance with soft herbs and wet slate. The finish was seemingly endless. With all of those notes of ripe fruit, this wine remained unbelievably light on its feet.

Interested in RieslingKenner? Check us out on Instagram.

thumbnail_IMG_2041.jpg

awesome notes! Got turned onto the producer a few years ago by Veronica Castro @ hi times - really enjoyed it since

Veronica’s great… got her offer today. These notes make me wish Hi Times could get all these bottlings! Is the west coast stuck picking up leftovers?

Thx Charlie.
Kerry, I believe 16 different bottlings of 2019 Falkenstein Riesling were imported Into the US. NYC seems to get them all, we got 8 here in Chicago.

8 is certainly better than the 4 here! The spatlese sounds incredible… Hoping more shows up but I’m not sure where else to look

If you can ship from Chicago may be worth trying-Vinic wines in Evanston Il, Vin Chicago, Binnys. All have/had some. Also some of the NY spots of course. Scott at Lopa in California might have an offer forthcoming as well.

Thanks for the mentions but they don’t seem to ship to CA. Flat Iron SF, which has a branch in NY, offered the same 4 wines at Hi Times, so I’m looking forward to see what Scott has on offer

Adam Cadwell : "2019 Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Spätlese AP 14

Wow! This was my Wine of the Lineup. Explosive piquant white peach sitting on a mouthwatering mineral and citrus infused frame. Pretty notes like walking through a field of wildflowers and a long spice laced finish that lasted on and on. Oh, that finish. I can’t get it out of my head. Wow…"

Very happy as it is the one I purchased… hope it will continue t deliver… Thanks for reporting!

Thanks for the notes, have these all in the cellar but only opened, 4, 8, 11, 12, 14 and 20 so far. :wink:

All these 2019 Falkenstein tasting notes on WB and IG making me jealous mine haven’t been shipped yet [head-bang.gif]

I’ve tasted #12 a couple times in the past week and just tasted #14 today. I’m really loving this vintage for Falkenstein. The fruit and acid balance is exquisite and I think these drink better on release than the 2015s. It’s still very high acid, but it finishes so gently.

And I think I get the faintest herbal? component in #12 that just adds an extra layer of complexity. Or maybe it’s a bit of cucumber.

Great tasting and notes. I’m so itching to set up a horizontal like this when I’m back in NYC.

I was offered four wines from Flat Iron SF as well, but the quantities were miniscule. I know production was down in 2019 and the tariff has deterred some German producers from allocating to the USA market, but this wine is hard to get this year. Hopefully I can find some more bottles.

Lets do it! I have almost all.