Ordering wine for delivery across the US?

I want to order the same wines (3 widely available wines from different countries) for delivery to multiple locations in multiple states in the US for an online tasting. We tried to use wine.com for a similar event last week and they simply didn’t deliver (I’ve read the other threads about the problems they are having).

Any other suggestions for a single wine retailer that can deliver to most states/locations in the US? Even better if they can work from an Excel sheet of names and addresses and ship the same wines with the same message to many different locations/addresses (which wine.com promises they can do but failed at last week).

Are you talking hundreds here…or thousands? If these are “widely available” as you say, couldn’t people simply purchase them locally? You would be doing the environment a big service if they could.

More like 70 participants in 15 different states. These are for a corporate event where it isn’t reasonable/feasible to ask everyone to buy it themselves.

I’m a little confused. Your sig indicates your are in the auction wine biz and did a $3M deal with one of the largest retailers, Zachys. That seems like more knowledge than 95% of the folks on WB. Zachys can’t help or refer you?

I don’t know that I have more knowledge than 95% of the folks on WB, especially when it comes to retail ordering of wine for delivery to lots of different locations.

I guess I could ask Zachys, but my experience there is in the wine auction side, which is completely different than retail wine ordering of $20 bottles for nationwide distribution (which I don’t think Zachys retail can do).

Okay, I was just reacting to your specific question regarding a retailer who can deliver to most states in the US and thought Zachys would fit that description as they ship retail wine nationwide. Why would you think they could not do it? I’ve never done what you are describing, but would think asking some of the usual suspects (B-21, Total Wine, K&L, JJ Buckley, Bassin’s, Sherry Lehman, Astor, Gary’s) directly would be the quickest solution. Good luck!

There is roughly 20 states that Bassins doesn’t ship to so it’s not an option.

Bassins might work as he only needs 15 states; I was just trying to provide Ed with a starting point.

Given the arcane nature of the delivery restrictions across the US, the challenge will be to find a retailer that can deliver to the 15 states in question. Stephen gives a fine list to start with above. Now assign a marketing intern to research which of them can deliver to your states!

Gary’s is a great suggestion - thanks! They can cover nearly everyone and have a corporate gift program where they are looking for a spreadsheet of names and addresses, which fits our situation perfectly.

Most of the others can’t get sufficient coverage to be a single source or each order would have to be placed one at a time. I live in SF and would love to give K&L the business, but they can’t ship to most of the states. Zachys says “most states.” Bassins could work but is still missing about 10-15 states.

US wine delivery coverage is a tough problem to solve.

They won’t even ship to me here in Virginia. Nor does K&L.

I planned something similar—on a smaller scale but had European participants too. Even within the US I had to use different retailers (eg K&L for California and Total Wine for Georgia). It was a huge pain and I was very limited on choices and in one case one of the groups had a different vintage. It really shouldn’t be so complicated!!
But I will say that everyone involved had a blast so it was worth the effort.

the only issue you may run into with a lot of retailers is if some of your states dont allow any shipping at all, like PA, or if you want your event to happen now, where temps in the southern US are still pretty questionable for shipping.