Chinn Vineyards Petit Verdot

Just got an offer from COHO, that they are bottling a 2016 Petit Verdot. Anyone have any knowledge about Chinn vineyard or a single Petit Verdot from another producer? Note: I know it is not 100%, but at 87% it is darn close.

Many thanks

Mike

Petit Verdot generally has small clusters with small dark berries, so high skin to juice ratio makes dark wine. Most have good tannin and acidity. Wines can be quite big but a little less complex than other Bdx varieties. There is a reason it’s generally used for blending and in small percentages as a little can go a long way. But it does well on the east coast where mildew and rot pressure is higher and where low acidity is a common issue.

I like the grape but it’s something I drink on occasion not regularly. One California version that I have had in the past and liked was Ruston Family but I think they are no longer in business.

I discovered Petit Verdot a few years ago loved it and drink it regularly.

The producers I have had:

Opolo - The first 100% Petit Verdot I had

Locatelli - 2015 Estate Petit Verdot 13.2% alcohol. They have had it on sale for $20 this year and is great deal. Kind of fruity and oaky but with some balance.

The Arsonist Red Blend - 53% Petit Verdot, 24% Malbec, 23% Cab. About $16. Great everyday drinker.

Avid Petit Verdot Stag’s Leap District - Got this a few months ago but have not opened it yet.

Briceland makes a terrific petit verdot from Humboldt. A board favorite. Which reminds me, I haven’t had one in awhile, I should dig one up.

I think there are a few good PVs from Spain, but I can’t remember which wines they were. Maybe someone else will.

I have had Cerro Petit Verdot from Napa that’s great

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for the mention. I know I’m not really supposed to be selling on these threads, but if anyone wants info, my email is andrew@bricelandvineyards.com

I currently have at least a small amount of 3 vintages of PV, all for Ishi Pishi Ranch.

Coho’s is NV which is interesting as well since harvest from 2016 and 2017. Like the notes from above. Hmm Briceland you say? Wine from Humboldt Co, Cali, never would have thought of it.