What to pair with American Wagyu Ground Beef?

We’re going to bust into the Holy Grail Tajima American Wagyu Ground Beef and grill some burgers tomorrow night. What’s the best to pair with those? Here are the basic choices that we have in the wine fridge: aged or young left-bank Bordeaux; Cal cabs (some bruisers; some restrained and classical); young village or 1er cru Burgs. I could also dig up syrah if that’s more appropriate.

Thanks!

I’d go with younger cab or Bordeaux or syrah. The accompanying dishes would be the deciding factor within those. If there are tomato-based vegetables, I’d lean toward syrah.

Older wines or Burgundy would be kind of wasted with grilled burgers.

Out of the wines listed I would probably go for the syrah first. I really like young juicy Loire Cab Franc and Ca Grenache with burgers.

Burgers are just the foundation. Depends on how you plan to serve them. Blue cheese and caramelized onions? American cheese and ketchup? Cheddar and potato chips? Lots of options call for different wines. Safest bet for a clean and rare preparation over charcoal is young and fruit forward.

No Zinfandel on hand? Had one last week with a Wagyu burger with caramelized onions and it was very good.

I enjoy Zin with burgers. Stand up to the fatty meat, condiments and dressings slathered on.

I also like to serve it a touch cool as well.

+1 on the cool

Bedrock ovz

German Riesling is always a nice counterpoint. I like Cru Beaujolais with fattier meats too, Cornas too.

Got an EMH “Little Black” hanging around? Would seem like a fun match.

Beaujolais with burgers is always fun. Meets more or less halfway between your desire to drink wine and your burger’s desire for a Coke.

Great idea Merrill.

I’ve got nothing against blue cheese and caramelized onions, but with top waygu? American cheese???
Personally while I grill almost everything I do waygu burgers in skillet. And they’re the main focus.

Can’t recall having had a noteworthy “a-ha!” moment with past burger-and-wine experiences. This may just be the ticket to pound the table with my next at-home burger.

Never would have thought to pair Riesling with Burgers, but with last night’s burgers we finished the other half of a bottle of Desire Lines Riesling. Very enjoyable together.

Young L. Bank Bdx or Village Burgundy, depending on what you do with the burgers (more heavily seasoned, go with Bdx; if the patties are largely unadulterated, then Burgundy). Sounds delish!

Old Auslese will really change your mind.

That was the joke…

I do smash burgers with fess parker ranch wagyu and American cheese for simple burgers with grilled onion, pickles and maybe some kind of 1000 island spread (no lettuce or tomato). Wagyu caramelizes so well in a hot cast iron pan.

Fruit bomb Cali cab, zin or Coca Cola.