TN: 2009 Dominus Estate

An excellent Napa Valley Cabernet.

It’s been a while since I had a Dominus Estate from the 2000s, but took a flyer on this 09 being ready for business. And it was. I was initially surprised by the scale of this wine, it’s density, but everything is really balanced, even with 14.5% ABV being fairly well integrated and some oak toast as a mere side-note. Deep dark fruits, palate coating, with an earthy almost Rutherford-like dusty note, tobacco and some savory things, following by firm, but sweet and mildly chewy tannins. Considering some more modernized Napa Cabs that I have had recently at dinner engagements, this wine really stands out as what would appeal to those seeking a more balance - cannot call it restrained - Napa cabernet, that does not border on the liquor side of things.

(94 pts.)

I too had one of these last night and was really impressed with its femininity and balance. Great example of French wine making with California Terroir.
In a beautiful spot! [highfive.gif]

Nice work Robert! Taking it for the team with the Youngins.

Not only have I never had a negative experience with a Dominus, but I’m not even sure I’ve ever heard anything negative about Dominus (other than prices creeping upward).

95 mag sits in prime real estate of the cellar, awaiting the right occasion.

Thank you for the early look at the vintage [cheers.gif]

I have had mildly disappointing experiences with the 1994 and 2002 (despite good provenance) but agree that Dominus is in general the bees knees. The stretch of vintages from 1988-1992 or so is legendary imo

Robert, I am surprised that this wine is mature. I had a 1994 a few years ago and it still quite young. In fact, it was much improved the second night than the night I opened it.

Thanks for the note, as I have a couple of theses and have been eyeing them. But, like Howard, have been under the impression that more time was needed. How did you prepare it? PnP?

One hour of decant and followed over two hours. I never said it was fully mature, I said it was ready for business! No regrets at all, liked it very much. CT notes suggest the same.

I have an 08 Dominus in the cellar. Was planning on holding it several more years. I’d like to see how it is in the 15-20 year window.

1 Like

Wow I had it two nights ago. What are the odds? I liked mine a bit more than the original OP and was really impressed with the wine. Definitely love the French touch on Napa wine and can seem to notice a difference with Dominus nearly each time I have it

Had one about six weeks ago and was surprised at how ready it was, versus what I was anticipating. Still has miles to go, but a great wine now if you can’t wait.