1972 Pierre Engel - Alexis Lichine Clos Vougeot

This was the fifth bottle from a mixed lot of 1972 Alexis Lichine Clos Vougeot 375s. The first 4 were Meo, 2 were wonderful, 1 was corked, and one was madeirized.

This is the Pierre Engel bottling and it’s quite different. Very pale color. Beautiful , captivating nose of underbrush and cherry. On opening palate is long and round on the entry but quite tart on the long finish. With air the tannins of the vintage show up in spades along with strong cherry notes. It’s really demanding food at this point and a T Bone steak is an excellent match.

So great nose, good on the palate but given the performance of the Meo wines a bit disappointing.
Posted from CellarTracker
(actually I had to do a copy/paste because for some reason I couldn’t post directly)

This sounds like fun Jay. Sorry the palate didn’t measure up to the nose. I can only imagine how great those Meo wines were.

Good to read this! I have a 750 of the Engel Clos Vougeot, bottled by a French négociant, lined up to open soon…

Thanks to Jay’s generosity, I don’t have to imagine. I think I had tastes of the first two at a couple of our Saturday get togethers before COVID. Really fine and vibrant. IIRC, the first one was especially good.

Yes, you definitely had the two good ones. Don’t recall if you were at the Bite of Hong Kong dinner where I opened the maderized bottle. I opened the corked bottle for myself at home (fortunately?).