Name a wine you consistently rate higher than the critics

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

Name a wine you consistently rate higher than the critics

#1 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 20th, 2020, 7:40 pm

The other thread on how Berserkers started their cellars got me to thinking about folks who mentioned wines they love drinking or collecting that aren’t necessarily critic darlings.

I’d be curious to hear from others about those wines. For example, I really enjoy Corison and score it high (for me) but notice my ratings are typically higher than the critics. Other examples?

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Name a wine you consistently rate higher than the critics

#2 Post by Chris H. » September 20th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Corison is a great producer that I'd rate higher than the usual 90-93 points her wines seem to get, but with that said, Galloni usually likes a restrained more classic Napa cab that she produces. A. Rafanelli comes to mind, but I don't think they submit their wines for review (any more?).
H a r r i s

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Craig G » September 20th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Is that even possible?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

brodie thomson

#4 Post by brodie thomson » September 20th, 2020, 10:30 pm

Pretty much every German Kabinett I drink!

Most critics seem to to consistently rate Spatlese higher than Kabinett and Auslese higher than Spatlese. Mostly I prefer Kabinett so I differ from the critics

Matt Mauldin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Matt Mauldin » September 20th, 2020, 10:37 pm

My favorite Napa wineries tend to not get a lot of critical attention - White Rock, Smith-Madrone and Frog’s Leap.
ITB

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Kevin Porter » September 21st, 2020, 4:42 am

ESJ comes immediately to mind but only for some (one?) critics.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 21st, 2020, 4:53 am

Leaving aside Gillman, mine would be Chateau Magdelaine. Levet would be up there as well. And Olga Raffault.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Robert Dentice » September 21st, 2020, 5:23 am

brodie thomson wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 10:30 pm
Pretty much every German Kabinett I drink!

Most critics seem to to consistently rate Spatlese higher than Kabinett and Auslese higher than Spatlese. Mostly I prefer Kabinett so I differ from the critics
Definitely Kabinett and Kabinett Trocken even more!

AND Keller Scheurebe!
ITB - source | material

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Howard Cooper » September 21st, 2020, 5:54 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 4:53 am
Leaving aside Gillman, mine would be Chateau Magdelaine. Levet would be up there as well. And Olga Raffault.
Gilman writes the only wine newsletter I read. Why would you leave him aside? Should we also leave aside William Kelley and David Schildknecht, both of whose views I tremendously respect. If you leave aside these three, I probably would say all Burgundy. Add leaving aside Mosel Fine Wines and my answer would be all German wines.

Who are the "critics" and do they all rate wine the same way.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 21st, 2020, 5:59 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 5:54 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Gilman writes the only wine newsletter I read. Why would you leave him aside? Should we also leave aside William Kelley and David Schildknecht, both of whose views I tremendously respect. If you leave aside these three, I probably would say all Burgundy. Add leaving aside Mosel Fine Wines and my answer would be all German wines.

I think he meant that Gilman is the only critic who does rate Magdelaine highly. So if the question is wines you rate more highly than the critics, he's saying he rates it higher than the critics with the exception of Gilman. Not that one should generally ignore Gilman.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 21st, 2020, 6:01 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 5:59 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

I think he meant that Gilman is the only critic who does rate Magdelaine highly. So if the question is wines you rate more highly than the critics, he's saying he rates it higher than the critics with the exception of Gilman.
Exactly.

Remember, Howard, Spanglish is my first language, so clearly my skillz at communicating are low. [cheers.gif]

Plus, Gillman is just not bantered about much in the retail trade as a critic of note. I guess for those of us that like his palate, that’s a great thing.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Howard Cooper » September 21st, 2020, 6:08 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 6:01 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:

I think he meant that Gilman is the only critic who does rate Magdelaine highly. So if the question is wines you rate more highly than the critics, he's saying he rates it higher than the critics with the exception of Gilman.
Exactly.

Remember, Howard, Spanglish is my first language, so clearly my skillz at communicating are low. [cheers.gif]

Plus, Gillman is just not bantered about much in the retail trade as a critic of note. I guess for those of us that like his palate, that’s a great thing.
My real point is that in our post Parker era there are hundreds of critics, not one all knowing one, with widely divergent tastes and ratings. Who are the "critics" that do not like Magdelaine. Do William Kelley or Tanzer not like Magdelaine? I have a hard time seeing "the critics" as a monolithic whole the way we might have 10-20 years ago when if someone said the critics I would know that they mean Parker and the Wine Spectator. I don't see the world of wine criticism today as being the same where one or two voices predominate. The wine critics I read tend to like similar wines to what I like, which is why I read them. This really is a question about this whole thread, and not so much about your post. So, again, who are "the critics"?

And, I thought your communication skillz are low because you are an attorney. [pillow-fight.gif] [snort.gif]
Last edited by Howard Cooper on September 21st, 2020, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by CJ Beazley » September 21st, 2020, 6:12 am

Jaffurs
Flowers
Au Bon Climat
It's C(raig)

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 21st, 2020, 6:17 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 6:08 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

Exactly.

My real point is that in our post Parker era there are hundreds of critics, not one all knowing one, with widely divergent tastes and ratings. Who are the "critics" that do not like Magdelaine. Do William Kelley or Tanzer not like Magdelaine? I have a hard time seeing "the critics" as a monolithic whole the way we might have 10-20 years ago when if someone said the critics I would know that they mean Parker and the Wine Spectator. I don't see the world of wine criticism today as being the same where one or two voices predominate. The wine critics I read tend to like similar wines to what I like, which is why I read them. This really is a question about this whole thread, and not so much about your post. So, again, who are "the critics"?

And, I thought your communication skillz are low because you are an attorney. [pillow-fight.gif] [snort.gif]
I agree with almost everything that Howard wrote here except the part about Robert’s communication skills. The mangling of his brain comes from too many Loire reds.
ITB

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 21st, 2020, 6:20 am

Howard Cooper wrote:

My daughter is a fourth-year medical student and she was doing some mock interviews for the upcoming residency application season. One of the reviewers said that she sounded like an attorney’s daughter - “You knew your thesis for every answer, supported it with evidence, and concluded with a summary - Doctors don’t talk like that.” [dance-clap.gif] [rofl.gif]

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Howard Cooper » September 21st, 2020, 6:33 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 6:17 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Exactly.

I agree with almost everything that Howard wrote here except the part about Robert’s communication skills. The mangling of his brain comes from too many Loire reds.
So, multiple causes.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Howard Cooper » September 21st, 2020, 6:34 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 6:20 am
Howard Cooper wrote:

My daughter is a fourth-year medical student and she was doing some mock interviews for the upcoming residency application season. One of the reviewers said that she sounded like an attorney’s daughter - “You knew your thesis for every answer, supported it with evidence, and concluded with a summary - Doctors don’t talk like that.” [dance-clap.gif] [rofl.gif]
[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] That kind of summarizes my view of the communication skills of Doctors. [head-bang.gif]
Howard

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Jay Miller » September 21st, 2020, 7:09 am

Craig G wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Is that even possible?
It is if you omit Suckling from the list of reviewers.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Jeremy C » September 21st, 2020, 7:15 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 6:34 am
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] That kind of summarizes my view of the communication skills of Doctors. [head-bang.gif]
I resemble that remark. champagne.gif
Cuth.bert.son

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Jeremy C » September 21st, 2020, 7:15 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 7:40 pm
The other thread on how Berserkers started their cellars got me to thinking about folks who mentioned wines they love drinking or collecting that aren’t necessarily critic darlings.

I’d be curious to hear from others about those wines. For example, I really enjoy Corison and score it high (for me) but notice my ratings are typically higher than the critics. Other examples?
I think that your example is a good one as I have as well found the same to be true.
Cuth.bert.son

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 21st, 2020, 8:07 am

Hmm, when a doctor says you sound like a lawyer, I don’t think it’s a compliment.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 21st, 2020, 8:36 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 8:07 am
Hmm, when a doctor says you sound like a lawyer, I don’t think it’s a compliment.
Normally, I'd agree - though I'd say consider the source. [wink.gif]

In this case, the reviewer explicitly stated it was meant as a compliment, and backed it up with reasons, so the reviewer is probably a lawyer's kid too! [snort.gif]

John Kight

#23 Post by John Kight » September 21st, 2020, 8:45 am

Almost any great Chianti Classico, Chianti Classico Riserva, or Cru Beaujolais. Also good trocken German Riesling (Kabinett or Spatlese), or great Austrian Riesling.

It's like there's an unwritten rule that these wines don't merit more than 92 points (maybe 93-94 for the extreme outliers). As a result, my scores are often higher. Admittedly, my ratings are not somehow trying to assess the importance or gravitas of a wine, or how long it will age, etc. I'm rating my experience with the wine as it exists at the time....Too many notes make the wine sound terrible, then give the wine a high score because they believe it will drink great some day in the future.
Last edited by John Kight on September 21st, 2020, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 21st, 2020, 8:46 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
That normally means the doctor has had his/her butt kicked by a top-flight lawyer. ;)
Last edited by Robert.A.Jr. on September 21st, 2020, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 21st, 2020, 9:01 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 8:36 am
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
Normally, I'd agree - though I'd say consider the source. [wink.gif]

In this case, the reviewer explicitly stated it was meant as a compliment, and backed it up with reasons, so the reviewer is probably a lawyer's kid too! [snort.gif]
I did not see the word “compliment “ in your quote, so I didn’t know.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#26 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 21st, 2020, 9:21 am

Muscadet and Chianti (especially non-classico subregions).

RT

Steve Costigan

#27 Post by Steve Costigan » September 21st, 2020, 9:25 am

Ojai. Pinot noir consistently. Syrah often.

JBrochu

#28 Post by JBrochu » September 21st, 2020, 10:02 am

I feel like many of good reds from the lesser Burgundy appellations are given lower scores than comparable Oregon/California pinot noirs.
J@hn

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by MBerto » September 21st, 2020, 10:48 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 7:40 pm
She doesn't charge enough to justify really high scores
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

A Songeur

#30 Post by A Songeur » September 21st, 2020, 11:04 am

German Kabinett are indeed excellent QPRs... but they get pretty good critic assessment and note, So, I love them but don't think I rate them higher than critics
I would mention quite a few red Burg village wines. Indeed, critics tend to respect the hierarchy Grand Cru/1er Cru/Village and I have had many a village I consistently rate higher than 1er or grand cru from other producers.
Mugnier, Fourrier,... many other usual suspects villages most of the time get notes in the low 90s....
Antoine

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by George Chadwick » September 21st, 2020, 3:23 pm

Craig G wrote:
Is that even possible?
Yes, not all critics get high before they rate wines.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » September 21st, 2020, 3:31 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:

[rofl.gif]
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » September 21st, 2020, 3:41 pm

German wines in general.

Though I don't care as much for points as I do the tasting note, what bothers me more is the ceiling that some categories of German wine reach in number of points given and the narrow window in which they are generally awarded points. For example, I'd say most good German kabinett is given 90-93 points by MFW, with an occasional 94 or 95 points for truly superb kabinett, whereas auslese typically start with 93 points and work their way up.
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

mattbillet
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by mattbillet » September 21st, 2020, 3:41 pm

Jordan, Tercero, and Ojai in the US, and Spanish wines generally!

Rob M

#35 Post by Rob M » September 21st, 2020, 3:42 pm

In Barolo which is most of what I rate and drink, compared to Galloni, I don’t know if I can think of a single wine I really like and believe he underrates on the 100 point scale. If anything, crazy as this sounds, he may on a relative basis to his other scores underrate Giuseppe Rinaldi compared to me. Other than I think the Riserva Brunate in 2010 (un-released wine) I don’t recall him giving any Rinaldi 100 points for example, but I think the best vintages of Rinaldi are as good or better than wines he has rated 100 points - ie Vietti Ravera 3 times, Burlotto Monvigliero. The 99 Rinaldi Brunate (94) outshined the 99 Monfortino (100) for me this year for example.

One other one in Napa might be Di Costanzo. He’s given them very good scores, but at least relative to the scores he’s given to other wines, I peg them a notch above.
Rob McLaughlin

Curtis Chen

#36 Post by Curtis Chen » September 21st, 2020, 3:51 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 3:41 pm
German wines in general.

Though I don't care as much for points as I do the tasting note, what bothers me more is the ceiling that some categories of German wine reach in number of points given and the narrow window in which they are generally awarded points. For example, I'd say most good German kabinett is given 90-93 points by MFW, with an occasional 94 or 95 points for truly superb kabinett, whereas auslese typically start with 93 points and work their way up.
Totally agree.
CellarTracker: Curtis Chen

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 21st, 2020, 4:12 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 3:23 pm
Craig G wrote:
Is that even possible?
Well done gentlemen!

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 21st, 2020, 4:13 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 7:09 am
Craig G wrote:
Is that even possible?
Bonus points if anyone can name a wine they’d score above Suckles.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by RyanC » September 21st, 2020, 4:16 pm

A Songeur wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 11:04 am
I would mention quite a few red Burg village wines. Indeed, critics tend to respect the hierarchy Grand Cru/1er Cru/Village and I have had many a village I consistently rate higher than 1er or grand cru from other producers.
Mugnier, Fourrier,... many other usual suspects villages most of the time get notes in the low 90s....
This is my precise response. Most Burg reviewers--particularly Meadows but also Coates and others--are rigidly hierarchical. That means that villages top out at about 90-92 in most instances. But top villages wines are often far better than that: they age beautifully and can provide as much pleasure as the best wines out there. So many times I've had a good villages (Fourrier VV, M-G Vosne, and the like) that completely blew away all the 95+-point wines opened alongside them. Good Burg villages are not only better deals that a lot of stratospherically ranked wines--they're just better wines.
C@ughey

Rob M

#40 Post by Rob M » September 21st, 2020, 4:52 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 4:13 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 7:09 am
Craig G wrote:
Is that even possible?
Bonus points if anyone can name a wine they’d score above Suckles.
Actually easy. You just have to pick a traditional-style Barolo from a cool year. Especially if you go back to the 90s, it would be super easy....but even 2008 Bartolo Mascarello, from some Googling, JS95. I'll rate it a 96+....
Rob McLaughlin

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 21st, 2020, 5:01 pm

Pretty much anything from Edmunds St. John
Selbach-Oster Kabinett
Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Keith Levenberg

#42 Post by Keith Levenberg » September 21st, 2020, 5:19 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 3:23 pm
Craig G wrote:
Is that even possible?
Did not think the perfect reply could be improved upon. Chapeau, gents.

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Andrew K. » September 21st, 2020, 5:42 pm

Pretty much anything from DRC. The ratings are constantly mediocre.
к𝓁ย𝐠

ETurner

#44 Post by ETurner » September 21st, 2020, 6:00 pm

I'm big on Richard Kershaw's Chard and Pinot. I think they're well below they're rating. Take this with a grain of salt...I'm new here but I'm excited about this wine.
Eric Turner

Tasting Notes Podcast

davidlown

#45 Post by davidlown » September 21st, 2020, 6:12 pm

I always tend to feel that cheap but well made cotes du Rhone in the $8-$14 range often over performs its price and ratings. Many times I drink them and think they are in the 90-92 range to me and are just pretty tasting and downright enjoyable. Often when I go up the price range in southern rhone I quickly find them too cloying and oaky. So in feel like cotes du rhone is often thought of as light and too simple but I find it to overpeform ratings and price.

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » September 21st, 2020, 7:54 pm

Historically I would say no, but lately I’m starting to think I’m higher on some New Zealand Syrahs than the reviewers. Also sometimes some “lesser” classed growth Bordeaux. And maybe Rafanelli and Truchard.
ITB

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Brian Tuite » September 21st, 2020, 8:48 pm

Points don’t matter, unless of course they’re my points? [stirthepothal.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » September 21st, 2020, 9:37 pm

Obviously subjective, but from above... Smith Madrone, saw that up there earlier, a good call. Also, easily, Selbach-Oster Kabinett, great value and more deserving of better love.

Thinking about others, Rauzan-Segla hits a higher batting average for me. Chateau Gloria I also feel is under-reviewed/appreciated and ages better than advertised. Pio Cesare never gets its full props IMO. Also would throw up Chateau Guiraud for a Sauternes pick.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#49 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 21st, 2020, 11:00 pm

Honestly, I don't know because I don't pay much attention to critics' scores. It also doesn't help that I tend to score most wines in a very narrow range when I do bother to score a wine (88-92).

But, to hazard a guess, I'd say:
1. generally, dry Sherry
2. Grand Puy Lacoste (maybe ... score inflation is so rampant among critics these days, I could be wrong here)
3. dry whites with purposely oxidative tones
4. Baudry's Croix Boissee
5. 2010 German Riesling
6. 2008 red Burgundy
7. 2014 red Bordeaux
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Paul @bbott

#50 Post by Paul @bbott » September 22nd, 2020, 4:27 am

Is this a way of reflecting on our own preferences? I often get huge satisfaction from middle range Bordeaux, such as Caronne St Gemme. It suits my taste and I have been following it since 1982 the critics never mention it, but it is like a comfort blanket for me.

Return to “Wine Talk”