Giscours 2000 and Soc.Mallet Cuvée Jean Gautreau 2001

Jean Gautreau used to say that his ambition for Sociando-Mallet was to reach the level of quality of Giscours, so I thought I would try two good ones together. I chose the JG 01 over the 00 just because I have three 01s and only one 00. the wines were opened on consecutive evenings and then tasted together last night. Both were decanted for five hours.

Château Giscours - Margaux - 2000

The nose was full of very deep, profound sensations: blackberry, more like blackberry liqueur perhaps, black cherry, violet, a little plum and a touch of menthol on the finish. Quite rich at first, very pure fruit, but powerful and muscular, the blackcurrant and blackberry slightly yeasty as a result. The power didn’t taste forced in any way, but it was a bit distracting. It took a couple of hours to simmer down, then the typical Giscours elegance and finesse shone through, with tastes of red fruits coming mid-palate and some freshness on the finish. By the second evening it had improved further and confirmed the impression I had had two years previously - that this is the best Giscours I’ve had.

Sociando-Mallet Cuvée Jean Gautreau 2001

From the first sniff it was clear that this was a great bottle: very refined, fragrant aromas of violet, plum and cassis, with a strong wave of raspberry at the end. The attack was crisp and fresh, with beautiful notes of cassis and plum, quite powerful but effortlessly elegant, moving into a complex middle section where some blackberry emerges, and a very long finish with strong notes of raspberry, rounded off like the attack by a sensation of cool freshness. Like a hypothetical blend of Pauillac, Margaux and Chinon. Sensational.

Tried together, the comparison was fascinating. The Giscours was beautifully balanced but it does need another few years for the power to relax a little. I’ve had a couple of off bottles of the JG, but this one was back to the exceptional level of the first bottle tasted two years ago. Lovely though the Giscours was, the Sociando-Mallet Jean Gautreau was simply at a higher level: more complex, more elegant, more distinguished and fresher. One of the best wines of the year, this is a Bordeaux for those who are sick of Bordeaux. It’s a great tribute to Jean Gautreau’s ambition and determination.

I bought a stack of the Giscours 2000 upon release for just $25 to $30 per bottle. Until three years ago, the wine will still around $50.

Just gorgeous and never shut down, since then. A poor-man’s Leoville Poyferre.

Wonderful notes as always, Julian. I think you know how much I love that 2001 SM. It’s utterly fantastic.

Funny side note, I was going to a Tour de France party last night, and narrowed my wine choice down to 2000 Magdelaine and 2001 SM Cuvee JG. Rats, now wish I would have grabbed the SM so that we could have shared contemporaneous notes. The Pauilliac-Chinon reference is so apt. That said, the Magdelaine was wonderful.

My note from last year:

Still regret not buying every bottle I could grab.

Victor - the Giscours is indeed a fantastic wine which I think will improve further. In my pantheon of Margaux 2000s, I would put it just behind Brane for now, but in another five years, that could easily change.

Robert - Thanks for the kind words. Ah yes, I know how much you love that wine and rightly so! Two years ago, I wouldn’t have got the Chinon style reference as clearly and that’s partly down to your guidance and influence, thanks to which I’ve waded through all those green beauties!

It is an amazing wine.

What I forgot to mention is that the bottle opened was one of the three that I was sent so graciously by Sociando-Mallet to replace the off bottles. They really are a class act.

Funny you mention Magdelaine 2000 - I’m in the process of getting some, so that sounds promising!

Julian that Magdelaine is so squarely in your zone!

Thanks for the notes Julian. Was considering having a 2000 Giscours this week so perfect timing. Sounds like it just needs a good decant.

No, No!!! More wine to buy!! I fear you are right. BTW I came across an oddity in a shop last week - Château Jean Faure - St.Emilion GCC 2017. Apparently nearly all the merlot fell victim to frost, so it’s 95% cabernet franc. I know nothing about the estate but thought I’d give it a try.

Cheers Lee - based on my bottle, I’d decant it earlier than I did - in the morning rather than the afternoon. Hope you like it!