Monday night TNs: Two Chianti with chicken marsala

Two of my favorite producers, and both wines in the zone tonight - plus, as an added bonus, a little Fall-like weather in the Delaware Valley today!

More earthy red fruits on the nose as well - very, very nice tonight.

It opened with a little funk on the nose that quickly blew off, and you’re left with about as complex of a nose as a Sangiovese will ever provide. Earthy red & black fruit with some sotto bosco scents in the mix, tonight this wine is the total Chianti package.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sotto bosco! Ageworthy and affordable. Thanks for sharing.

RT

Thanks. Wines sound good!

Forced me to google Rùfina and wondered why I rarely drank (if any) wines from this small, high altitude, cool-climate sub-zone.

Nice notes, Bob, and I was impressed by the relative age of the two Chianti that you opened. Got me thinking (again) of getting a half dozen or so of a good 2016 Chianti that could be enjoyed both fairly soon and also down the road. One of the candidates was the Monsanto CCR which has good reviews by most critics, including Tim Heaton who sometimes posts here. I also did a search of WB for posts about that wine, and what do I find but a post of another Chianti-Marsala night of yours from a few months ago with the 2016 Monsanto CCR. I guess that might clinch my decision! Cheers. (and thanks!)

Jim, 2016 (IMO) is a great Chianti vintage in the making, so there are a lot of choices you could make and still have a very nice night of drinking 10-15 years from now, but one wine I would definitely give a shout out to is the Felsina CCR. I also liked the Isole Elena CC quite a bit as well.

This wine rarely disappoints from any vintage. I think I’ve got a couple of '04s left…if so I’ll pull one to enjoy soon! The '06 and '10 are also quite delicious!