2012 Peter Lauer „Schonfels„ Fass 11 GG

2012 Peter Lauer „Schonfels„ Fass 11 GG

What a beauty. Such subtle, sublime, delicate with a strong floral attitude and in the finish a juicy fruit. At its peak, but no hurry to drink. Open a bottle now, you will enjoy it. Maybe with a light fish dish.

It’s not a jump-in-the-face wine or a 99/100 Riesling. But I have to point out that we can’t drink points/scores. When winemakers make a tasting (winemakers only!), they never give points/scores, instead the first empty bottle is the winner.

P.S. also lovely on day 2. No decline.

C6C70F04-6D77-440F-8F45-BC218ACFD673.jpeg

"When winemakers make a tasting (winemakers only!), they never give points/scores, instead the first empty bottle is the winner.

P.S. also lovely on day 2. No decline."

The P.S. seems to contradict the tasting note… as you waited for the second day to finish the bottle… [cheers.gif] rolleyes

Cheers Martin. I also enjoy the occasional Lauer who is a great guy, makes great wine and even speaks French… saving my poor and pathetic attempts at speaking Goethe language …

No Antoine, otherwise my doctor would be very angry about me. We are not 20 anymore. hahaha

Hello Martin - Thank you for the great note. I absolutely love Schonfels. Happy to have lots of the 12 in the Cellar.

Hi Robert,

is there a Riesling you don’t have in your cellar?! haha lucky guy

I think it would perfectly fit with your fish&veggie dishes. But be careful with spice not too much Asian flavors or hot flavors.

Riesling rules,
Martin

I also often say when people talk about points that you can’t drink them although it is definitely human nature to rank.

At the table we give the first (or sometimes fastest) bottle finished the Thunderbird Prize. I no longer recall the origin of that.

I do occasionally meet winemakers who openly talk about how many points they got and from whom. But I will keep it to myself…

Thanks Martin. Had the 2016 earlier this year which was great but needs some more time. Just placed an order for some 2019 Schonfels and Kupp GGs.

Any comments on Schonfels vs. Fels for Lauer in 2019 (or previously)?

The next MFW issue, which covers 2019 dry rieslings, should cover them. Can’t remember where I saw it but apparently there’s an embargo about discussing/reviewing GGs until after the VDP auction season.

I ordered 3 of both from Lopa. For me, buying Lauer at a reasonable price is like paying a utility bill — don’t overthink it. It’s hard to imagine they’re less than delicious.

This is not entirely true or maybe not adhered to by some publications. The Wine Advocate posts GG reviews before as does Jancis and I think John Gilman.

Wine Advocate has Schonfels at 92-93 and Fels at 91-92. Personally I love Schonfels and it is a major buy every year.

I heard the Kupp was pretty special this year (bought it and the schonfels as well). Most underrated producer in the world? I think so.
A

It does surprise me that Lauer hasn’t blown up. They are so delicious and pure, the vineyards are great, and the story—a talented young winemaker making singular, small-production wines and championing historical vineyards in the Saar—resonates.

1 September. They can’t be physically sold/shipped before then.

In Germany he is one of the few new talents who entered that group of really esteemed estates in a few years. He became member of VDP (not easy in Mosel), auctions in Trier’s Großer Ring, gets high ratings, sells at high price. He is not an inside tip any more. All this with wines wich are not that easy to understand: they are often very high in acidity, the vineyards (except Kupp) are not famous, he uses several plots of the official vineyards on the label, the numbers (Fass Nr) are confusing, you never know how sweet the wines are, he has an won concept reading the Prädikats (Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese) so you often don’t get what you expect. All these were topics of long discussions among afficionados years ago. But now, Peter is simpy one of the great producers on the Saar.

Thanks!