Riesling geeks, what glassware do you use?

Up until earlier this year, I had been using the Zalto Universal as I find this glass shows riesling quite well and it was in most of the wineries’ tasting rooms we visited when in Germany. I then got some Grassl Mineralite glasses to try as part of a BD deal, and though I use them I find myself going back to the Zaltos due to the small size of the Mineralite bowl and because I found this glass to emphasize primarily the mineral notes in the wine, with less fruit expression in young wines. So, a couple questions:

1. What is your go-to glass?
  2. Do you change glassware depending on the style of riesling being consumed (dry, off-dry, sweet) or degree of maturity?

Also, if anyone knows what wine glass they were using at the VDP auctions?

1 Like

Pound it out of the bottle, after all, it’s the Coors Light of wine, just wish the labels turned blue so I knew it was cold.

1 Like

I went through the same with the Grassl Mineralite - couldn’t get past the small mouth. Using Gabriel’s GGG, wish I had bought more since they have now doubled in price. Zalto never disappoints tho.

Germany/Austria being what they are they will always outdo most anyone in glasses.

3 Likes

Zalto Universal. Although to be honest that is my choice for pretty much everything besides Nebbiolo and Pinot Noir and some Chardonnays. I like this glass a lot and generally don’t like to play around with different glasses much.

GGG or old Riedel Vinum Riesling/Chianti or Chardonnay. Regarding the Riedel the slightly smaller opening in the Riesling/Chianti glass gives it a slight edge over the Chardonnay glass. I like Zalto Universal too but don’t own any.

1 Like

Tricky question.

I can say this: I’m currently having an '01 Auslese and it’s showing quite nicely from the Grassl Liberte.

1 Like

For the most part I use the Zalto Universal. Occasionally if I am drinking a young sweet wine I will try it in a Zalto white wine.

Without any doubt ZALTO Universal. All the Top german estates use it.

I have told this story before. The winemaker Markus Molitor said to me, „ I have asked all relevant glass companies to send me their glass collections to find the best glasses for the estate. Finally, ZALTO Universal was the best“.

Fair to say I totally respect when people prefer other brands. When I had the ZALTO Universal for the first time in my hand and tasted the first Riesling, I immediately knew it is MY glass. Intuition is also important by choosing a wine glass.

Finally, ZALTO glasses are dishwasher safe. I recommend it. You will destroy too many glasses cleaning by hand.

11F94D52-0499-492A-9394-13A70EAB3CBE.jpeg
Tasting room of the estate Molitor

1 Like

P.S. like Robert said the ZALTO White Wine works wonder for young sweet wines or young basic Rieslings in general.

I use ZALTO Universal for 10 years? I would never change. Fair to say the Universal glass pronounce the minerality and this I like.

Zalto Universal or GGG for me, I lean on Universal more.

2 Likes

GGG and at the Auctions they always use the Zwiesel Kristallglas, don’t know the name of the actual glass but it is great for Riesling as well!

I’m in love with the Rona Malmo 21oz, bought through Kimura. Use them for everything. And they’re about half the price of Zalto.

Kimura-600x600.jpg

Designed to enhance sweetness instead of minerality?

Not sure why, but I have never liked the Zalto Universal.

I currently use the Grassl Mineralite when I am trying to specifically match the glass to the wine. Otherwise I use the Grassl Liberte, as that has become my daily use glass.

Grassl Liberte is my go to glass. I think the Mineralite might be slightly better (for champagne too) do focusing aromas and acidity, but the opening is a bit more narrow than I prefer.

It’s too stylish for you, David. That’s the reason.

No offence, but sometimes people have problems with stylish products.

Well you are dead wrong about that. My concerns are about how off-dry and sweeter wines show in the glass. I have not done the side by side with the Grassl and or the Gabriel Glass. Might have to do that.

My apology. Yes, that’s a good reason.

Riedel Riesling Extreme.

Zalto Universal for dry Riesling including GGs.

On the rare occasions we drink sweets, I like the Riedel Riesling/Chianti like Jayson, as I don’t care for the way they show in the Zaltos. I admit that I’ve have had the Riedels for a long time and use them by default, since I don’t own any other real candidates for that job and they do just fine. FWIW, they are also very good for sake.