TN: 2009 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Papera Vineyard

• 2009 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Papera Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (9/23/2020)
    14.7% abv. Medium ruby, aromatically expressive. Raspberries, sassafras, red cherry and mint on the palate. Excellent depth, length and intensity. I’ve always thought of Papera as being a vineyard that expresses impeccable balance and poise and this one really demonstrates these qualities. Power, focus and lightness. My wife is in the other room swooning “OMG” … Beautiful now and should be terrific for years to come (which won’t do me much good, this was my last bottle). Note to self: sometimes it’s worthwhile to let these great old vine Zins age … (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, I have one left that was looking really tempting the other night.

Chris, please report back!

Papera has always screamed “balance” to me, so I assumed it would age very well. Now I know!

This is from several years ago but my note on the '09 WS Papera also referenced the balance.

Bright crimson in color. 14.7% ABV. Stunning nose of red and black fruits, ginger and black licorice. Plush, highly extracted and impeccably balanced. Raspberry liqueur, blackberry, black cherry and pepper on the palate. The finish is very long and sweet with fine grained tannins. Super Zinfandel from a favorite vineyard. Drink over the next several years.

My rating: 94 points.

Tom