Seven Apart Inaugural Release

Seven Apart from Stags Ridge Vineyard on Atlas Peak and Base Camp Vineyard has their first release on the 29th, of the 2018 Expedition which is their entry level cab from the looks of it. LPB over at WA gave it 96+ and from doing some googling it looks like the price may be $75, they have 3 other cabs that will be released next year. Google has their prices at $175 (wines named Basalt and Shale) and then $250 (Summit - I assume their flagship).

https://sevenapart.com (proprietor is Don Dady)
Seems like they took a “build it and they will come” approach to their winery http://www.shawbackdesign.com/seven-apart-winery-main

Andy Erickson is the wine maker (formally Screaming Eagle/Harlan) here is the PR around his appointment Famed Winemaker Behind Napa's Legendary Wines Is At It Again

Someone posted on an instagram post (on Lisa’s account when she announced her score) (so unverified) that “Erickson began with the '19 vintage, and the 2018 was made by Kirk Venge and the prior owner, Ed Snider when the estate was still known by as Beau Vigne.”

Im excited to try and will pick up a few bottles, but does anyone know much about this project?

Hi Nicolas,

I wanted to reply as I am helping Seven Apart with the PR. I’m impressed at the information you were able to find! One thing I wanted to correct is that the price of the 2018 Expedition is $135 and Andy was part of helping craft the 2018 release. Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks,
Claire

1 Like

Thanks Claire for reaching out.

The $75, $175, $200 pricing came from google. If you run a search you can see under products the pricing that comes up under a pic for each bottle, you might want to update that if incorrect.

Can you provide more clarity on Andy’s involvement for the 2018s? Curious what part of helping craft the release means.

Thanks again.

1 Like

1200 cases apparently…

Was interested at $75, but unfortunately won’t be taking the risk at $135. I’m sure it can be a great wine but would rather get others instead at that price point.

I unfortunately agree. When you have a wine I’m familiar with like Realm The Bard 2018 released at $110 with two 98pt scores. It’s hard personally to justify going deep on something I haven’t tasted at $135.

I thought $75 was an attractive and smart price for them to gain interest and build brand momentum.

zero published pedigree for the vineyard, no disclosure regarding the owner. seems like a fairly decent size production, relatively speaking
andy erickson alone doesn’t get me to spend $135 a bottle on a first release. not in 2020 when I am passing on some insane wines.

Easy pass at these prices. Entry level cab should be at most $50.

Piqued my interest until price and quantity lead me to believe this will cheaper at distribution and secondary market

Does this have anything to do with escape from the Borg?

I received a July email directly from the winery stating the release price of Expedition at $75 / bottle. That’s a heck of a 2 month price increase.

soon at a Costco near you sadly

Easy pass for me at above $100. DiCo and William & Mary are below the $135 range.

Really? Wow. Im surprised they communicated $75 directly to the waiting list and then decided to change it, I assume they thought the 96+ WA score justified the jump.
Im still waiting for a response regarding clarification to the extent of Andy’s involvement in the 2018 vintage.

The Stag’s Ridge vineyard is the old Beau Vigne main vineyard on Atlas Peak. This was part of the sale and rebranding. Former Venge project and they made some great wines imho.

I agree with everyone here - would be very intrigued at $75. At $135, I have zero interest.

Also kinda disappointing that their PR person popped in early to correct the pricing…but then never bothered to show back up and answer any questions. Prob not exactly what the winery was hoping for when they hired someone to handle their Public Relations. [scratch.gif]

I am willing to support and try at those prices. I will share tasting note here as soon as i start drinking them.

Does anyone have coupon codes for them?

Sorry, I can’t tell if you’re joking about the coupon code.

they have a section to input coupon code

Ahhh, gotcha! That’s interesting…anyone else see that on other high-end cab producers sites that they order from??

Regardless, maybe Claire will pop back in at some point and hook us up [cheers.gif]

1 Like