White Burg mini surprises: Carillon and M. Colin

Just a brief note on two wines opened this past week that I am entirely smitten with. These wines both came out of nowhere and grabbed me by the scruff and demanded my attention.

2015 Domaine Jacques Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Perrières Man is this chalky and dry. Nothing round and fat, despite the vintage. Succulent white fruits. Long and elegant. Such equipoise. Love this producer.

2016 Marc Colin et Fils Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Montceau Baby Puligny Montrachet. Taut, linear but full of yellow fruit. Old vines tended by PY’s father yield great concentration for an Aubin. Never quite sure what “dry extract” means but this wine has it in spades! Sinewy and chewy. Major hat tip to Master William Kelley for turning me onto this one.

Wines like these keep me going back to the White Burg well despite the hazards.

These are two producers I have always thought that I should buy more wines from (esp. Colin since his wines are generally cheaper than those of his sons) but somehow I don’t. My mistake. Thanks for the notes.

J. Carillon is the real deal.

Thanks for the notes. Good to hear the Carillon Perrieres is “to style” even in 2015!

Carillon 15s are drinking incredibly well right now, as are the 13s. Given his style and the quality of the winemaking, not a surprise though. One of the few 18 white burgundies I didn’t hesitate to buy.