Lady winery owners / collectors

Long time lurker, second time caller.

The first time I posted it was a bit of a . . . well . . . you know.

How many active serious winemaking / winery owning / wine collecting ladies are here?

I love reading the Wine Talk forum, hi guys , but would like to connect with my sisters too.

2 Likes

Welcome to a very small group! I grow and produce Cabernet here in Calistoga, Napa Valley. I have a collection - my latest venture being Champagne. champagne.gif There are a few very knowlegable women who post here who are not in the business. Some have just pretty much disappeared from WB.

I’m not sure I can claim to be a “lady,” but I am one of the female collectors/drinkers here. There aren’t that many of us.

It’s great to see the growing number of female wine professionals, but I do I wish there were more collectors. I’m often the only woman at auctions bidding for my own account. And I definitely wish more women would participate here, if for no other reason than to balance out the number of comments about wives not “getting” the wine habit. :slight_smile:

Anyway - welcome to the community. And good luck!

2 Likes

[rofl.gif]

Nice, Sarah!

Hey Kathryn, good to see you here!

We are a small minority here for sure. Like Sarah, I am a “collector” not ITB.

+1 I support a forum where the female collectors are equally free to complain about their husbands not getting wine. We all need a safe space to vent! grouphug

Sarah, do you or the other women here, see major differences in the types of wines you like and drink (or how you approach wine) from what the men on this board prefer? Certainly, this is a hard question because the tastes on this board differ so widely. My sense is that while there are distinct differences between what you like and what I like (for example, we both like German wines a lot but you like the dry ones much more than I do), you and I probably have more similar palates than I do compared with some of the bigger is better wine drinkers here. I have not noticed preferences differing by gender, although I might be just blind to that. So, I am asking.

Howard - no, I don’t see any real difference between what female collectors (myself included) as a group like, or how they approach wine, and what male collectors like. Same thing with the few other female collectors with whom I am friends. At home, too, Jonathan’s tastes and mine are very, very similar, and where they differ doesn’t conform to any typical male/female category. As I see it, we are wine lovers first and foremost, and any differences are individual taste driven, as you say, rather than male versus female preferences.

That said, I do see stereotypes of what women like to drink born out in the real world as well as here when men here talk about what their wives like to drink. Obviously this doesn’t apply to all wives, but seems to be true often enough to reinforce the stereotype.

Yes, this irks me, too; maybe we can have a moratorium on it?

Ok, I my to old my wife to “get it” or else! hitsfan

Hi Kathryn, nice to meet you ~ winery owner, former retailer/sommelier and consumer here. Very glad to say hello!

1 Like

Kathryn, you’re the owner of 00 wines in Oregon, right? Nice to meet you and to have you here.

A friend served us the 2016 VGW Chardonnay blind at a tasting, with very experienced Burg and Bordeaux drinkers, and everyone thought it was a top-notch white Burgundy. I thought it was the wine of the night among a lot of excellent and expensive bottles. I’ve bought a few at Hi Time since then – it’s outside the range of what I usually spend, but was good enough to be worth a splurge.

By the way, I’m a male Chris, not a female one, but anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and make your acquaintance. I hope you get into posting more here.

And might I add a pure joy to do business with. [cheers.gif]

Hi Kathryn

Drinker/learner/collector here, and as you can tell by my number of posts, mostly lurker!

In real life, there seem to be many female wine geeks and their tastes and interests very similar to men. It always surprises me that this board can be so male oriented, or when people assume someone is male even when they are only using their initials.

Thanks for posting, I suspect there are many of us here eating popcorn and watching the show.

I know several female wine geeks who are active on other wine forums, as well as several who do not participate in wine social media. All good people that are great fun to drink with. It would be lovely to have a more “diverse” crowd on WB.

It’s your signature to which I am responding: 20 years ago a buddy of mine told me, “a great reason to drink wine is for the conversation and the better the wine, the better the conversation.”

[/quote]

Howard - no, I don’t see any real difference between what female collectors (myself included) as a group like, or how they approach wine, and what male collectors like. Same thing with the few other female collectors with whom I am friends. At home, too, Jonathan’s tastes and mine are very, very similar, and where they differ doesn’t conform to any typical male/female category. As I see it, we are wine lovers first and foremost, and any differences are individual taste driven, as you say, rather than male versus female preferences.

That said, I do see stereotypes of what women like to drink born out in the real world as well as here when men here talk about what their wives like to drink. Obviously this doesn’t apply to all wives, but seems to be true often enough to reinforce the stereotype.
[/quote]

I conside myself fortunate that my wife enjoys CA over Old World, big vs. soft, red vs. white. No way I could afford this addiction chasing two tastes!

Bought some of your wine for my first time this year because of reviews on WB forums. Glad to support a female fun winery. My wife is a professional as well, just not in the wine business.

I’ve definitely lurked for a long time (like that Michael Jackson popcorn meme). But, Hi! I’m not a winery owner but ITB and I guess collector by default, although maybe in larger quantities than most :wink: