2000 Casa Ferreirinha, Barca Velha Douro - when to drink?

I do not recall what inspired me to purchase this wine…It sounded like a good bottle to grab at the time. I don’t think this particular wine sees a bottle very often. Only the best years.

I bought it in 2010 and figured I’d just let it relax a few years. Figured I better ask now that it’s past the ten-year mark…

Anyone have some inside into this wine?

Thanks!

…mike

Go for it, it’s likely at its peak. The 2011, though (released a few weeks ago) will kick its butt once it hits its stride. It’s a strong candidate for greatest Douro non-fortified wine of all time, and might be the first time a Barca Velha truly warrants the price tag.

Regarding its frequency of release: the wine Ferreirinha produces labeled Reserva Especial (four around a third of the price of Barca Velha) is the exact same thing. After 8 years of elevage, Ferreirinha evaluates the wine, decides which of the two labels it will carry (arguably depending on its quality, but also depending on market dynamics) and releases it into the market, which is why there have been few Barca Velha since the first bottling in the 1950s. The 2011 should have been released last year, but the pandemic delayed the process. The criteria for which should be which are evidently not 100% consensual; some people, like Mark Squires, felt that the 2007 Reserva Especial deserved the Barca Velha designation. It ended up being 2008, which is wonderfully austere and almost Burgundy meets Douro.

Loved the 08! Pricing is crazy! [wow.gif]

2008 Casa Ferreirinha Douro Barca Velha - Portugal, Douro
A first for me…this was flat out killer! SO deep and dark fruited, with a plushness and wonderful finesse. Dark berry liqueured fruits, obviously Port -like, yet with total graphite powder dryness…exotic flower florals, licorice, anise…sneaky white pepper spice, dusty tannins…yet an elegant softness for such a big wine. Finish for days. Cool stuff! (94 pts.)

You’d never guess that Ferreirinha is owned by Sogrape, the same company that produces a certain wine named Mateus Rosé. Most of their budget comes from selling the junk, and allows them enough comfort to cater to Barca Velha’s very expensive perks, like the 8 year elevage.

I had the '08 on release (four years ago) and thought it was still way too young despite its evident merits, but I’m glad it was showing nicely when you had it. The '11 got a perfect score from a domestic critic whose palate aligns very closely with mine, and who had never before given a perfect score to a table wine (I discussed this with him). It might just warrant a splurge even for a single bottle, and I wouldn’t have said the same regarding the '08.

You’d never guess that Ferreirinha is owned by Sogrape, the same company that produces a certain wine named Mateus Rosé.

No, I would not have–pretty cool piece of info, Tomás,

Plus now you have me thinking of looking for the 2011.

Cheers!

Thank you both for the input. I’ll have to set up a dinner with a couple wine geek friends of mine and drink this, soon. I bought this bottle back during the recession, and wine collections were being sold off pennies on the dollar. I think I paid $150 or thereabouts for this bottle. I had no idea it’s as expensive as it is today…dang. I’d never spend that kind of money on a bottle, unless it’s one of the first growths I’ve been pining over.

I’d say try it. I’m still waiting on a 91…

With the caveat that YMMV and some people have a marked preference for full tertiary profiles, I find that I really like most top shelf Douros in the 15-20 year range: already well integrated and with added complexity, but still with plenty of black fruit. '91 must be drinking great but I don’t see it on an ascending curve anymore. I know anecdotally that four years ago the '83 was already dead as a dodo, and the bottle came directly from the producer.

Had a 2000 last year. Was showing quite well, but personally something I’d want to consume sooner than later, not that there is any rush, but its pretty much at its peak, maybe with a slight decline. Still some fruit, but you can tell its receding and the tertiary notes are taking over the majority of the flavour profile. If that’s what you enjoy, then the wine still has plenty of acid and tannins to carry it over years to come, but if you want to enjoy some of the fruit, I’d drink it soon.

Opened a 1991 last year which was absolutely superb: a first for all the tasters as a lead up to a VP horizontal, almost all of whom had not even heard of the wine. It felt like it was in a wonderful plateau where I feel that it will give pleasure for years to come, yet probably unlikely to improve significantly. I have one more bottle to test that theory.

Purchased for an absolute song at auction in Australia in the early to mid noughties; I see a few bottles at Hedonism in London for £549.00.

I have to admit, I’ve never had Barca Velha. It always seemed way too expensive. I don’t buy First Growth Bordeaux or even Chave Hermitage anymore either. I do buy quite a bit of Quinta do Vale Meao tinto, the original fruit source for Barca Velha. While not an inexpensive wine, it’s no where the extravagance of Barca Velha.