Wine Match for . . .

Taleggio-filled tortellini in a smoked tomato broth.

Chianti or Barbera might work, but I’m worried about the smokiness of the broth.

Sicilian red?

Have you ruled out a white wine? “Smoked tomato broth” sounds like not quite a red sauce?

Franciacorta?

Sounds like a delicious take on tortellini en brodo. I expect the flavors to lean towards the delicate side. Volcanic soils could help with the smoky element, as would barrique but no need to go there. Boca would be my first thought, then perhaps Gattinara. Wines from the Valtellina would be comparable, and more regionally appropriate, Going slightly further afield, Val d’Aosta’s Fumin might be an even better bet. bright, complex but relatively light weight, often with a smoky nuance, and proper acidity to parry the tomatoes If you prefer a white a good Fiano would probably be my first choice.

Trebbiano?

+1

Timorasso

The tomato broth is moderately smoky. I smoked a crate of tomatoes and captured the broth that they gave off during the cooking process and while I drain them prior to pureeing them then freezing for the winter. The tomato sauce comes out really smoky, the broth less so.

I haven’t ruled out a white wine – I have a Timorasso that tastes like partial skin contact, might be a night choice. Was also thinking a rose might work well. I have a couple bottles of Fiano, may give that a spin if I try the broth tomorrow and it doesn’t seem too smoky.

Marshall – thought about a Nero d’Avola, have some older Occhipinti I should try. I think the smoke would overwhelm an Etna Rosso or Frappato, even if it’s not heavy smoke.

2020 California