TN: 2016 Capbern

Follow up to the tremendous 2015 capbern, I felt like the 16 is much more structured and not as pleasurable at the current time. Not quite as rich or layered, but more tightly coiled with ample acidity and more tannin. This may be great in time and has a long finish.

I feel many 2016’s which were very drinkable about a year ago are closed down and stern today. Just my observation.

Interesting note. When was your most recent tasting of the 2015?

It’s been awhile, a year or so.

I’ve gone through 5-6 of these as it was quite open and delicious upon release. My last bottle about a month ago was similar to note above. Much more structured and less aromatic. Seems to be closing down to me.

Dot recall having the ‘15

Huh. Never even heard of this wine. Had to look it up.

I think it used to be called Gasqueton

Yep, looking it up got me there first. :wink: Ch. Capburn Gasqueton, from what I read.

I had the 16 Capbern last year, and it was quite open… but I’m not entirely surprised if it shut down a bit. A real QPR winner.

I’ve found varying degrees of openness in '16s… Dame de Montrose and Durfort-Vivens have been wonderful and expressive, but Calon Segur was a bit closed and Gloria was shut down hard.

The Gasqueton family sold it about a decade ago, so the shorter name has been used on a few vintages now.

I have a bunch of the 15’s and a couple 16’s.
The 15 was good when i got them at Costco a couple years ago.
Haven’t tried one lately.
Please dont tell me its shut down now.

An excellent value at around $25!

Ed