Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: #GlassFire

#201 Post by Jim F » September 29th, 2020, 10:16 am

Marcu$ Stanley wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:08 am
Is there any news about what happened to Togni? It appeared that whole stretch of Spring Mountain Road with Lokoya, Togni, Pride, was in the crosshairs of the fire.
I have found no info on Togni. Pride posted on FB that they got through the night with a lot of help, but they cannot be at the facility now doe to still active burning. Barnett and Keenan news?
Jim Freeman

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 29th, 2020, 10:16 am

Reading this thread has just made me sick. Merrill, I am so glad to hear you are 3k miles away and that your property is unharmed as of now. The rest of you -- be safe. Our thoughts are with you all
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

FMansfield

#203 Post by FMansfield » September 29th, 2020, 10:18 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:00 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 5:56 am
FMansfield wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 5:41 am

It was taken by Mike Smith the winemaker
Who is my friend and asked me not to post his name, but...
Leah mentioned it on social media.
Which is why I gave him credit. Leah mentioned on social media others were taking credit for Mike’s photo. I definitely respect their privacy and would not have mentioned his name otherwise.

[swoon.gif]
F r e d e r i c k

Matt Mauldin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by Matt Mauldin » September 29th, 2020, 10:20 am

Marcu$ Stanley wrote:
Is there any news about what happened to Togni? It appeared that whole stretch of Spring Mountain Road with Lokoya, Togni, Pride, was in the crosshairs of the fire.
I follow Smith-Madrone on Instagram which is in that area. They updated this morning thanking people for the well-wishes and saying they’re currently assessing the situation on the ground and will update when they know more. Sounds foreboding, but hoping for the best for them and others on Spring Mountain (and beyond).
ITB

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#205 Post by JDavisRoby » September 29th, 2020, 10:20 am

Jim F wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:02 am
Hourglass Winery and their Blueline vineyard were destroyed. That is also where Patria is made by Tony Biagi.

We hosted Jeff for a dinner last fall. One of the best we’ve ever done. Was hoping to visit them this week but our trip was cancelled.

Planned on being in Napa / Sonoma this week for a 40th birthday trip. Cancelled due to COVID months ago but seeing this fire this week is just another #2020 gut punch.
Last edited by JDavisRoby on September 29th, 2020, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshu@

Eric White

#206 Post by Eric White » September 29th, 2020, 10:22 am

Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Mike Kuller » September 29th, 2020, 10:29 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 7:27 am
Thanks for your concern, everyone.
Stay safe.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by Mike Kuller » September 29th, 2020, 10:32 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 6:52 am
Just now an update from an official source that my property is unburned . The glass fire has moved north eastward up in the palisades mountain range. May it stay there until it is out...this is mostly conservation land.
Great news.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by Mike Kuller » September 29th, 2020, 10:34 am

No Vino Sin Cojones

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by Brian Tuite » September 29th, 2020, 10:43 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:00 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 5:56 am
FMansfield wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 5:41 am

It was taken by Mike Smith the winemaker
Who is my friend and asked me not to post his name, but...
Leah mentioned it on social media.
Yeah I know, but he married her. [wink.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#211 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 29th, 2020, 10:45 am

I was able to see a private video of my street that included my property. Not that one from some newslady. Looking good FOR NOW.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#212 Post by Steve Nordhoff » September 29th, 2020, 10:52 am

Very sad to hear the Sherwin winery was destroyed. One of the most beautiful places in the Valley, with the nicest people.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

JohnP

#213 Post by JohnP » September 29th, 2020, 11:06 am

Eric White wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:22 am
It appears on this video there was lots of ash at the entrance to Spring Mountain Vineyard/Winery, anyone know if they came out unscathed? That victorian mansion would be like kindling to any flames.
John Pollard

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 29th, 2020, 11:10 am

Matt Mauldin wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:20 am
Marcu$ Stanley wrote:
I follow Smith-Madrone on Instagram which is in that area. They updated this morning thanking people for the well-wishes and saying they’re currently assessing the situation on the ground and will update when they know more. Sounds foreboding, but hoping for the best for them and others on Spring Mountain (and beyond).
I'm also concerned about Paloma and would love any updates about the situation for our community's many friends up on Spring Mountain. Sheldon hasn't posted anything fire-related on FB, and his last post of any kind was Sunday...

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#215 Post by Karen Troisi » September 29th, 2020, 11:11 am

Just posted by Schramsberg - more good news!
Attachments
A82EEF26-F1E1-4FC9-B935-8D4B1B91C4DF.jpeg
Jean Edwards Cellars
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Tom H o l b r o o k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Tom H o l b r o o k » September 29th, 2020, 11:16 am

JohnP wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 11:06 am
Eric White wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:22 am
It appears on this video there was lots of ash at the entrance to Spring Mountain Vineyard/Winery, anyone know if they came out unscathed? That victorian mansion would be like kindling to any flames.
He mentioned that it looked like the buildings were still standing. I think that was based on a quick peek through the brush. but the video didn't confirm it.

Thanks, Eric for posting the video... It's heart breaking to see, but those of us outside this area we love so much appreciate your taking the time to share.

Dennis Atick

#217 Post by Dennis Atick » September 29th, 2020, 11:29 am

Recent update. Sad and scary. Wishing all of you out there the best.
@decaturwinedude

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by TGigante » September 29th, 2020, 11:56 am

Karen Troisi wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 11:11 am
Hopefully more positive posts like this update and Merrill’s update
Really pains me to hear of the good folks who suffer losses
Cheers,
Tony

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by TGigante » September 29th, 2020, 11:58 am

Karen Troisi wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 11:11 am
Hopefully more positive posts like this update and Merrill’s update
Really pains me to hear of the good folks who suffer losses
Cheers,
Tony

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#220 Post by Karen Troisi » September 29th, 2020, 11:58 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 11:10 am
Matt Mauldin wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:20 am
Marcu$ Stanley wrote:
I'm also concerned about Paloma and would love any updates about the situation for our community's many friends up on Spring Mountain. Sheldon hasn't posted anything fire-related on FB, and his last post of any kind was Sunday...
Dave it looks like Paloma is fine. They just posted on FB a few minutes ago 👍🏻
Attachments
0FB0EACD-C367-4544-A734-D8DEBA19F33F.jpeg
8626EB09-A790-4605-AB3F-32AF6F7CA580.jpeg
Jean Edwards Cellars

Jason Petty

#221 Post by Jason Petty » September 29th, 2020, 12:05 pm

A pretty good summary from the Eater SF on the damage so far...

https://sf.eater.com/2020/9/29/21493458 ... ZtlUbeNSHk

Burgess Cellars: The Howell Mountain winery was completely destroyed, its owners tell Wine Spectator, but “damage to the vineyards was minimal.”

Calistoga Ranch: The luxury resort was “badly damaged,” SF Gate reports. State Sen. Bill Dodd tweeted photos from the scene, which depict leveled buildings and charred picnic tables. The Ranch is home to the Lakehouse Restaurant, the status of which remains unknown.

Castello di Amorosa: a 13th-century–style winery in Calistoga known for its unique “castle” building. Its castle remains safe, but “the huge storage building holding millions of dollars of bottled wine is ruined,” KPIX reports.

Chateau Boswell: The winery was one of the first destroyed by the Glass Incident Fire.

Davis Winery: The heat from the flames prompted a 1,000-gallon propane tank on the property to explode, owner Mike Davis tells the Chron, but though “everything surrounding the winery” burned, the winery, itself, was saved.

Fairwinds Estate Winery: On its website, Fairwinds says that “Most of the Fairwinds Winery and its Tasting Room has been very seriously damaged by the recent Napa Valley fires...We are pleased to report our people are all safe. Our hearts go out to friends and neighbors, many of whom have lost their homes and all their belongings. This will change us, but it will not reduce us.” According to video from photojournalist Brittany Hosea-Small, it appears to be completely leveled.

Hourglass Winery: Wine Spectator reports that the proudly “anti-Napa” winery has “extensive damage.” ”It’s hard to say what the true damage is,” winemaker Anthony Biagi tells WS. “The fire burned through our Blueline vineyard adjacent to Calistoga Ranch.”

Hunnicutt Wines: The SF Chronicle reports that “much of its winemaking equipment” was lost, but that its winery building is safe.

Meadowood Resort: The building that housed three-Michelin-star the Restaurant at Meadowood, the Grill at Meadowood, and a golf shop has burned to the ground.

Newton Vineyard: The Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) owned winery “was significantly impacted, Wine Spectator reports, with a spokesperson saying that the company “intends to do whatever it takes to rebuild this truly special place.”

Paloma: Sheldon Richards, who owns the Spring Mountain winery, tells WS that he believes the property has been completely destroyed, but that he was forced to flee on Sunday night.

Sterling Vineyards: A statement from owner Treasury Wine Estates confirmed “that video footage on social media appears to show Sterling Vineyards suffering fire damage, but that the property is currently evacuated and the damage has yet to be assessed,” WS reports.

Tofanelli Vineyards: Owner Vince Tofanelli tells the SF Chronicle that he believes that “many of the grapevines, planted in 1929,” were lost, as was a 120-year-old barn and the winery’s (currently unoccupied) family home.

Tuck Beckstoffer Vineyards: Owner Tuck Beckstoffer tells WS that “we saved the winery last night, but everything else was lost.”

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#222 Post by Karen Troisi » September 29th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Jason Petty wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 12:05 pm
A pretty good summary from the Eater SF on the damage so far...

https://sf.eater.com/2020/9/29/21493458 ... ZtlUbeNSHk

Burgess Cellars: The Howell Mountain winery was completely destroyed, its owners tell Wine Spectator, but “damage to the vineyards was minimal.”

Calistoga Ranch: The luxury resort was “badly damaged,” SF Gate reports. State Sen. Bill Dodd tweeted photos from the scene, which depict leveled buildings and charred picnic tables. The Ranch is home to the Lakehouse Restaurant, the status of which remains unknown.

Castello di Amorosa: a 13th-century–style winery in Calistoga known for its unique “castle” building. Its castle remains safe, but “the huge storage building holding millions of dollars of bottled wine is ruined,” KPIX reports.

Chateau Boswell: The winery was one of the first destroyed by the Glass Incident Fire.

Davis Winery: The heat from the flames prompted a 1,000-gallon propane tank on the property to explode, owner Mike Davis tells the Chron, but though “everything surrounding the winery” burned, the winery, itself, was saved.

Fairwinds Estate Winery: On its website, Fairwinds says that “Most of the Fairwinds Winery and its Tasting Room has been very seriously damaged by the recent Napa Valley fires...We are pleased to report our people are all safe. Our hearts go out to friends and neighbors, many of whom have lost their homes and all their belongings. This will change us, but it will not reduce us.” According to video from photojournalist Brittany Hosea-Small, it appears to be completely leveled.

Hourglass Winery: Wine Spectator reports that the proudly “anti-Napa” winery has “extensive damage.” ”It’s hard to say what the true damage is,” winemaker Anthony Biagi tells WS. “The fire burned through our Blueline vineyard adjacent to Calistoga Ranch.”

Hunnicutt Wines: The SF Chronicle reports that “much of its winemaking equipment” was lost, but that its winery building is safe.

Meadowood Resort: The building that housed three-Michelin-star the Restaurant at Meadowood, the Grill at Meadowood, and a golf shop has burned to the ground.

Newton Vineyard: The Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) owned winery “was significantly impacted, Wine Spectator reports, with a spokesperson saying that the company “intends to do whatever it takes to rebuild this truly special place.”

Paloma: Sheldon Richards, who owns the Spring Mountain winery, tells WS that he believes the property has been completely destroyed, but that he was forced to flee on Sunday night.

Sterling Vineyards: A statement from owner Treasury Wine Estates confirmed “that video footage on social media appears to show Sterling Vineyards suffering fire damage, but that the property is currently evacuated and the damage has yet to be assessed,” WS reports.

Tofanelli Vineyards: Owner Vince Tofanelli tells the SF Chronicle that he believes that “many of the grapevines, planted in 1929,” were lost, as was a 120-year-old barn and the winery’s (currently unoccupied) family home.

Tuck Beckstoffer Vineyards: Owner Tuck Beckstoffer tells WS that “we saved the winery last night, but everything else was lost.”
Jason - yes the Chronicle posted this earlier but some of the info is not up-to-date as owners return to their properties to inspect. For example - see my post above from Paloma - much better news than what the Chronicle published. Most wineries have our own Facebook pages where we are posting latest info.
Jean Edwards Cellars

David Baum

#223 Post by David Baum » September 29th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Sheldon's daughter posted a picture of Paloma with the fire having burned right up to fence within 10 feet or so of vineyard but they are OK for now. Read Sherwin was not so lucky up there

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 29th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Great, thanks Karen - I hope the same is true for all their neighbors! (I see now that Sheldon's daughter has been posting updates on the "Paloma Vineyard" account, but I was looking for posts on Sheldon's account, which is the one I'm more used to seeing).

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#225 Post by brigcampbell » September 29th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Steve Nordhoff wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:52 am
Very sad to hear the Sherwin winery was destroyed. One of the most beautiful places in the Valley, with the nicest people.
My friend Brent, you've me him, who has been a guest at book club a few times is a big Sherwin guy and was just up there right after they reopened up. Said the same about them, just terrible. Also a Davis Family fan, tough day.

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#226 Post by lleichtman » September 29th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 7:27 am
Thanks for your concern, everyone.
Great news Merrill. I'm sure you're relieved and your vineyard, home, and cat are all safe.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#227 Post by Karen Troisi » September 29th, 2020, 1:37 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Great, thanks Karen - I hope the same is true for all their neighbors! (I see now that Sheldon's daughter has been posting updates on the "Paloma Vineyard" account, but I was looking for posts on Sheldon's account, which is the one I'm more used to seeing).
A bit of positive news is always good to share during this time and really good to hear from the families. Have you watched the video by Andy Schweiger while he drove down Spring Mountain? The raw emotion at times was overwhelming. Like most, I haven’t really slept in a few nights as the evacuation zone got closer to the winery on the western side of St. Helena. The zone literally starts at the end of the block we are on. Then on the trail side, the zone got mighty close to on an offsite storage location where our entire 2019 vintage is aging. Been a little stressed and we have been very lucky this far. I cannot imagine seeing your winery damaged or destroyed.
Jean Edwards Cellars

dougwilder

#228 Post by dougwilder » September 29th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Andrew Demaree wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 7:44 am
Yikes. For folks who have a good sense of the location, which vineyards and/or wineries are are in the immediate vicinity?

Brian's posted photo is of the Napa Welcome sign just south of Calistoga. Between it and the fire at time of image would include Larkmead Lane. Obviously a lot has changed since then. Reportedly there is damage to Sterling Winery that hasn't been confirmed, as well as Calistoga Ranch and Meadowood. The last two were gleaned from an NPR segment this AM with State Senator Bill Dodd.
itb as a wine critic, publisher and photographer

dougwilder

#229 Post by dougwilder » September 29th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 11:00 pm
SunHawk area of East Santa Rosa. Flames cresting the ridge. Hwy 12 traffic is stalled westbound they may need to open Eastbound lanes to ease the congestion. Strike teams assembling in SkyHawk and also staging at Calistoga Rd Safeway. Oakmont is under mandatory evacuation orders.

Photo credit: Kent Porter SRPress Democrat

1A79E8CB-B47D-4EC4-9351-29871F7643A1.jpeg
I got home around 9pm from my shift in the winery and the girl tells me we got an evac order. she was packed and I took a quick shower, then packed a few things and we went toward Sonoma on 12 to our place in San Francisco. We were wheels up within an hour. No delays at all in traffic.
itb as a wine critic, publisher and photographer

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#230 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 29th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Karen Troisi wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 1:37 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
A bit of positive news is always good to share during this time and really good to hear from the families. Have you watched the video by Andy Schweiger while he drove down Spring Mountain? The raw emotion at times was overwhelming. Like most, I haven’t really slept in a few nights as the evacuation zone got closer to the winery on the western side of St. Helena. The zone literally starts at the end of the block we are on. Then on the trail side, the zone got mighty close to on an offsite storage location where our entire 2019 vintage is aging. Been a little stressed and we have been very lucky this far. I cannot imagine seeing your winery damaged or destroyed.
I have not watched all of it yet, but will. Andy used to be quite active on the wine boards back in the day. Very sad to hear about Sherwin and anxious about the others up there. Thanks for posting news as you learn it.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#231 Post by Paul McCourt » September 29th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Anyone know of a fire line map. The one I’ve seen hasn’t moved in 24 hours. A friend live right next to spring lake and the state park in Santa Rosa and the line has been just on the other side of the park.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#232 Post by brigcampbell » September 29th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Paul McCourt wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 2:26 pm
Anyone know of a fire line map. The one I’ve seen hasn’t moved in 24 hours. A friend live right next to spring lake and the state park in Santa Rosa and the line has been just on the other side of the park.
calfire has an update from 2:30pm today. click on the incident and it'll move to the fire then "+" to zoom in, it gets granular.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-09-29 144841.png

Al Osterheld

#233 Post by Al Osterheld » September 29th, 2020, 2:48 pm

dougwilder wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Andrew Demaree wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 7:44 am
Yikes. For folks who have a good sense of the location, which vineyards and/or wineries are are in the immediate vicinity?

Brian's posted photo is of the Napa Welcome sign just south of Calistoga. Between it and the fire at time of image would include Larkmead Lane. Obviously a lot has changed since then. Reportedly there is damage to Sterling Winery that hasn't been confirmed, as well as Calistoga Ranch and Meadowood. The last two were gleaned from an NPR segment this AM with State Senator Bill Dodd.
I saw a claim the damage at Sterling was mainly outbuildings. At Meadowood, the building housing and restaurant and a golf shop burned, but they have many other buildings.

Things can change quickly, of course.

-Al

Al Osterheld

#234 Post by Al Osterheld » September 29th, 2020, 2:59 pm

The link below takes you to maps of evacuation areas in CA counties (and other states). You have to click on the county, a little clumsy for fires that cross county borders. It also has an outlines of fire area as well as info from MODIS and VIIRS thermal hotspot satellites.

The evacuation areas (and road closures) appear to be updated pretty frequently. The thermal hotspot info is updated at a lower frequency, can't tell how often. It also may retain the hot spot info for a while even after a fire is out.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 9793d55b37

-Al

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#235 Post by Brian Tuite » September 29th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Al Osterheld wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 2:59 pm
The link below takes you to maps of evacuation areas in CA counties (and other states). You have to click on the county, a little clumsy for fires that cross county borders. It also has an outlines of fire area as well as info from MODIS and VIIRS thermal hotspot satellites.

The evacuation areas (and road closures) appear to be updated pretty frequently. The thermal hotspot info is updated at a lower frequency, can't tell how often. It also may retain the hot spot info for a while even after a fire is out.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 9793d55b37

-Al
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat has one as well.
Overlaid with the burn outline, spot fires and evacuation zones.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/m ... ion-zones/

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#236 Post by Paul McCourt » September 29th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Thanks guys. Looks like the line is holding just east of him but it is right there. Fingers crossed for him and everyone out there.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Paul Luckin

#237 Post by Paul Luckin » September 29th, 2020, 3:55 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 2:46 pm
Paul McCourt wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 2:26 pm
calfire has an update from 2:30pm today. click on the incident and it'll move to the fire then "+" to zoom in, it gets granular.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/
::likebutton::

thanks Brig. good info here.
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Roy Piper

#238 Post by Roy Piper » September 29th, 2020, 4:33 pm

I can confirm with my own eyes today or from the owners/winemakers that the following wineries are good...

Forman
Seven Stones (just one guest house lost)
Eisele
Fleming
Tuck Beckstoffer
Mending Wall
Napa Reserve
Last edited by Roy Piper on September 29th, 2020, 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#239 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 29th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Roy Piper wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:33 pm
I can confirm with my own eyes today or from the owners that the following wineries are good...

Forman
Eisele
Fleming
Tuck Beckstoffer
Mending Wall
Napa Reserve
Thank you Roy.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#240 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 29th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Roy Piper wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:33 pm
I can confirm with my own eyes today or from the owners that the following wineries are good...

Forman
Eisele
Fleming
Tuck Beckstoffer
Mending Wall
Napa Reserve
Great news Roy. Keep safe.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Al Osterheld

#241 Post by Al Osterheld » September 29th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Was pretty sure Eisele made it, although looked like they were very close.

-Al

Roy Piper

#242 Post by Roy Piper » September 29th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Add to this list of survivors...

Venge
Grace Family
Hunnicutt
Vineyard 7&8

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#243 Post by Siun o'Connell » September 29th, 2020, 4:44 pm

From Dirty & Rowdy about ShadyFire ... sure most of you saw but just in case:
Many of you have reached out regarding the most recent fires in Napa and Sonoma Counties. We are grateful for your thoughts and concerns.

This new series of fires ignited on 9/27 and continue to rage through and around our surrounding communities with zero percent containment.

Our family is safe in downtown Napa. The Shady Fire came within 25 feet of the winery and no structural damage has been reported, and our bottled wine inventory is stored out of harm's way. We are deeply grateful to all first responders working around the clock in such unbelievable conditions.

Dirty and Rowdy customers are a caring crew. In the coming weeks, we will be compiling a list of resources and opportunities to help those most affected by the fires. In the meantime, please keep Napa and Sonoma in your hearts.

With love and thanks,
Hardy and Kate
So glad to read this and so typical of Hardy and Kate that caring for everyone is already in their plans ... they have been so thoughtful to so many, including reaching out to help me feel so much better about my COVID job loss.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#244 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » September 29th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Hardy (D&R) sent out an email that the Shady Fire came within 25 feet of the winery, but the structure seems ok. Wine and family, most importantly, are safe.

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#245 Post by B. Buzzini » September 29th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#246 Post by TGigante » September 29th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Karen Troisi wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 1:37 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
Scary. Keeping you in our thoughts
Cheers,
Tony

F.Daner

#247 Post by F.Daner » September 29th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Hopefully, the good news continues to come in and for folks local to the area please post how to help and also how to support and thank CalFire and other first responders.
Fred

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#248 Post by Nola Palomar » September 29th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Words escape me. I am sorry for anyone personally affected and thankful for those have escaped with minimal or no losses. As a winery owner I cannot begin to even think of how devastating this is for everyone there.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#249 Post by Bdklein » September 29th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Your call-please don't judge the organization in this thread. Text WILDFIRES to 90999 for a $10 donation to the American Red Cross for western fire relief . Don't think it's limited to Napa/Sonoma but CA/WA/OR.
Bruce Klein

Roy Piper

#250 Post by Roy Piper » September 29th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Bad news... 50-50 new Red Flag warning for Napa and Sonoma starting Wednesday. Just announced. Temps over 100, low humidity and slight to modest winds.
[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Return to “Wine Talk”