TNs: Two German Whites on Pork Roast Night

• 2015 Emrich-Schönleber Monzinger Frühlingsplätzchen Frühtau Riesling Trocken - Germany, Nahe (9/28/2020)
    First of a case purchased on release. Drank this on its own out of Zalto Universal stems, letting it open and warm in the glass. Acid driven, possibly even a touch spritzy at first, though that calmed down. Still quite young, not the least bit flabby or over ripe. With some air, the acid stopped being the soloist and started to support the good deal of fruit, starting with citrus, followed by some stone fruits hiding underneath that I think will come through more in time. The level of minerality is fantastic and the finish remarkably long and bouncy. We were curious to see where this fell in comparison to 2015 Keller Von der Fels and ultimately felt the VdF is more open and expressive now, but this will probably get to a similar level eventually.

I’m utterly confused by the note from Eric Guido in 2017 saying he wanted more acidity. I know Eric to have a very discerning palate, but that comment can’t possible be on the same wine as I drank! This wine is vibrating with electric acidity. It can’t be a matter of time - acidity doesn’t come and go that way. Maybe his bottle was a little less than perfectly stored or transported? This one came through Sussex, so about the best provenance one can get in terms of temp control.

• 2006 Weingut Münzberg Weissburgunder Spätlese trocken - Germany, Rheinhessen (9/27/2020)
    Served in Zalto Universal stems. I meant to give this some air based on previous notes, but got distracted. Beautiful, instantly recognizable weissburgunder nose - like I said in a previous note “as if mature chardonnay and vouvray had a fling with Riesling.” The floral component lay at the base topped by what we decided was a pina colada served in a cup of river stones. That settled down into a more typical honeyed white peach profile, but still retaining a few tropical notes. Fully mature, but not at all flabby. The age and structure worked amazingly well with our “Fennel Three Ways Pork Roast” (fronds, seeds, pollen), which has posed some problems for Rieslings in the past. The acid was just barely up to the task of the crispy skin and fat cap, but it made it. What a delight these have been. I’m sad to be down to my last 3.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

“as if mature chardonnay and vouvray had a fling with Riesling.” Incredible!

We had 2017 Wasenhaus Bellen Weissburgunder on Saturday. This is from one of their best old vine parcels. It was just stunning. Weissburgunder in the right hands is so underrated.

Agreed! Can’t wait to try one from Wasenhaus. So far, I think the best I’ve had is Laible’s 2012 Weiss GG - that might have been the only vintage in which he made it.

Agree on the Laible. The Mobitz might be the best I have ever had. The other would be Rebholz Im Sonnenschein GG.

Looks like we are due for a Weissburgunder Study!

I’m game. I have a few in stock, and also have the Schaefer-Frohlich coming this fall.

Cool. Another good one that is very reasonably priced.

I have a few more of the 2007 Munzberg Weissburgunder GG as well.

1 Like

how’d you do the pork roast?

I moved this to a new thread in the Epicurean section.

Loved the 2018 Falkenstein weissburgunder spatlese trocken. For Schafro I’ve had the 14 and 16 and was not a huge fan of either. Looking forward to trying the 19 falkenstein and wasenhaus.

2 Likes

I remember tasting this. It was with Sussex’s in my office at Morrell and they had the whole portfolio there. When I look at the note, I see my comment was “I wanted more acidity”, which doesn’t mean the wine lacked acidity, just that the 2015 didn’t posses as much as previous vintages that I preferred. It pays to note as well that I gave it 91 points, so it wasn’t a slacker.

2 Likes

I’m chiming in as a fan of good Weissburgunder! My problem is I keep drinking up my bottles before they get any real chance to age and develop. I’ve got to better myself! :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks for the notes Sarah.

Regarding the Emrich-Schönleber, I don’t have experience with Fruhtau or Halgans but love Frank’s Mineral. Ended up buying a case of the 2021 vintage and opened my first bottle a couple days ago, which was electric. Any thoughts on when these mid-tier wines generally show at their best given that they are young vines?

Curious to hear if you’re able to expand on this at all; what seemed to be the issue(s)?

They didn’t taste good together.

1 Like