TN: 1996 Ch. Rauzan-Segla

1996 Ch. Rauzan-Segla, Margaux

This wine was splashed-poured into a decanter and back into the bottle 2 hours before our crazy good, cast-iron grilled Snake River Farms wagyu ribcap Sunday dinner.

Some floral and gravel notes fused-in within its appealing perfume.
In the palate, red berry acidity, firm-plump, gently-ripe fruit, with a very lengthy lip-smacking tart finish.

Even as youthful traces is evident in this medium-bodied wine, this version defines to me what a good traditional Medoc should and would be.

It’s not the biggest, it’s not the baddest, but this is the level of wine quality and style that helps keep my interests and appreciation ticking for wines from this region.

Am genuinely excited with the prospects of my remaining ones in the cellar. A-

929E1D09-AB16-4C19-A788-33A5A4F992E0.jpeg

This is a producer I unfortunately allowed Parker to put me off without experimentation. I need to do some poking around; the ones I have had have been very good

Yes, nice wine, nice note! '96 is turning out to be a fun year.

How so?

I’ve always kind of liked that wine.

As I remember (no longer have access to his DB) he was never a fan. As a result, in my early days (when you could buy this cheap) I never did

I was going to say in my TN that it’s very hard for me to recall of a bad one I’ve had from this property.

Getting harder to find and I’m likely preaching to the choir, but anything one finds from 82/83/85/86 that’s even at the high end of his/her reasonable level is a good buy.

Ramon, I had a similar reaction to this a couple months ago - the florals definitely stood out. Wonderful wine, although it sounds like your bottle was showing fresher fruit and less tertiary development than mine.

I actually had 1/4 re-corked back into the fridge for day 2 pre-dinner drinking. The wine’s earlier resolve remained intact and as enjoyable.

I may be wrong, but don’t recall Margaux wines as being lauded as much as those from further north of the Medoc. I revisited this thread to compare a Malescot St. Exupery from the same vintage that I just had (TN to post).

Had this same 1996 Rauzan Segla several months back… Classic style that is so endearing :slight_smile:

Like that view outside your window.
Enjoy your wine. Rauzan Segla 96 is the top vintage for this estate from 91-00 imo. Glad to own a few.

Thanks. View helped with maintaining calming perspective while being mostly cooped in during the last 10 months.

I’ve not dipped into my stashed Rauzan Segla 2000 which I hope can, at least, get to a similar level as the '96 at the same age.

The 2000 is excellent, open one soon.

1 Like

You should have listened to Sideshow Bob…live and learn-

Thanks, Glenn. Will be in the radar the next time I have stuff pulled from the remote storage.