Napa/Sonoma Trip Yes or No?

My wife and I love visiting the area, but haven’t been for a couple years. We typically ride bicycles in the morning and taste (usually private appointments) thereafter. We like to grab both lunch and dinner out. My birthday is coming up in about 3 weeks and we were tossing around the idea of visiting and then it occurred to us that we had forgotten about Covid, which is a bit of a blessing I guess.

I know there have also been fires and I guess wineries may also be busy making wine during this time of the year.

So my question is how open is the valley? What changes can we expect?

I would be concerned about the air quality for a week or two after the fires are out…and they are still raging right now.

Really?

Oh, I wasn’t aware the fires were still going. That makes the decision pretty straightforward. Thanks.

You know, if the fires are out by then, wineries would likely be happy to have your business.

It must be nice to live in a place where you don’t have to worry about COVID. Oh, wait…

I’m with Anton.

It may seem insensitive to think about visiting there while fires are raging now, but like many areas its economic vibrancy relies on visitors from away.

Of course they need your business but 2 months from not will likely be better.

This. It’s funny how quickly everybody is back to doing completely unnecessary things like touring wineries.

Don’t shame. Both of you.

Rob,
Without Covid, I would say definitely go in three weeks. Everyone in the Valley could use the business. With Covid I think you should postpone until next year. Support by mail order in the meantime, and plan on a fun trip next October. [cheers.gif]

Well, if there was an award for the most oblivious post of the year, this would get my nomination :wink:

I was in Napa this weekend, and actually stayed at Meadowood Saturday night.

Given how devastating this year has been for the hospitality industry in Napa. I just want to go back and spend money. I don’t know how restaurants can survive with COVID and two major fires.

Unfortunately, this attitude of denial seems to be pervasive throughout most of the country.

And the nomination for most self righteous goes to…

Rob - not everyone is aware of the horrible clusters of major fires that have broken out, starting this past Sunday morning around 4:00.

A good place to catch up on the severity of the fires and their proximity to places you might want to visit is here in Wine Talk under Glass Fire. We property owners do not even know the current status - things have moved so quickly. Hope this helps.

To be perfectly honest, what this country needs is more acceptance of public shaming. People feel like it’s their god-given right to traipse about in the midst of a global pandemic, spreading their germs merrily wherever they go. If that is indeed them exercising their rights, then I am going to exercise my right to call them out on it.

I wouldn’t count on the air quality here being any good in 3 weeks. Hard to know how the current fires will progress, and the smoke can linger for quite some time, especially because up in the mountains they mostly have to let the fire burn itself out, so you get a lot of smoke for a long time.

Quite aside from any moral or personal safety concerns surrounding COVID, there are some practical ones, too. There is no indoor dining, and although some restaurants have excellent outdoor setups, in 3 weeks the evenings will be getting chilly and dark, which could take a bit of the shine off any nice dinners you might be planning. Covid protocols for tasting vary a bit by winery, but across the board the experience is quite different from pre-Covid.

While I’m sure the local wineries, hotels, and restaurants would appreciate your business, I personally wouldn’t suggest planning a visit here this October.

Ben - in Napa County we have indoor dining - at least we did before the fires. Spacing at least 6 feet apart, maximum party at one table is 6, and restaurants can run at 25% capacity. But, as you know, many of our retaurants have outdoor dining throough much of the year - I am not talking about a few tables set up near a busy street, I am talking about lovely set-ups. Heat lamps, outdoor lighting, blankets provided for those who want to dine outside. Solage and Brasswood are 2 good options with both indoor and outdoor dining.

Hope you have a lot of Windex for that glass house of yours.